Boys Basketball Season Preview

Ryan Cardone, Sports Marketing Reporter

Coach: Brian Golub; experience – 21 years

Assistant Coach: Todd Smith

Last Year: 21-7 and lost 10 seniors

This year’s captains: Sr. PG Nick Facendo; Sr. C John Carroll

Conference: Shore Conference-A North Division

Last Year: Last year was a very good year for the Freehold Township basketball team. They went 21-7 in a very talented conference. They play in the A-North division which is one of the best divisions in the conference. Township went on to win the A-North public and came up short of CBA to win the A-North. The team last year went on to the quarterfinals in the Shore Conference Tournament and lost to Rumson who went on to win the tournament. Then in the state tournament, Freehold Township went to the finals as a 2-seed and lost to Hillsborough in a tough game.

Top Players Returning: Nick Facendo and John Carroll will be the two key returners coming back to the team after 10 seniors graduated. Nick Facendo averaged 8.4 ppg with 31 three point field goals in 23 games. John Carroll just played 14 games and averaged 2.6 ppg. These two will be a big success to help lead this team.

Top Newcomers: These newcomers will be seeing a lot more time then what they saw last year with all of the seniors on the team last year. Seniors Tyler Von Nessen and Stefen Williams have had good experience in the system so that will be a big part in helping younger guys. Along with them, Juniors Bobby Weise, Steve Staklinski, Ryan Cardone and Ryan Zyskowski will look to help out the team a lot. Then the talented Sophomore Ja’Zeem Foster will help with his quickness and ball handling. Unlike the past years, this team will be much taller across the roster and quick.

Outlook for 2015-2016: This year should be another good season but will need to overcome losing 10 seniors from last year’s team. Nick Facendo and John Carroll will look to lead this team in becoming one of the top teams again. They will be challenged on the first game of the season when they will be facing one of the best teams in the Shore Conference, CBA on December 18 @ Township. It will be a real challenge to the team and could