Polls

Best before-school coffee spot?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The Power of Music

Music connects us all, and it is much more powerful than we give it credit for. From connecting cultures to connecting people, it is one of the most important pieces of our lives.

Music gives everyone the power to escape to a different world. It also provides a myriad of other benefits. Whether in the learning environment or at home, the impact of music is powerful. 

Starting from a young age, music helps developing minds by reinforcing language skills. Through engaging every part of the brain, not only are language skills improved, but reading ability increases greatly. 

Listening to music further strengthens memory and attention. For example, hearing the same thing over and over again, such as a song, enables the brain to remember it. This empowers the brain to try to remember another song, and then another. This is a fundamental skill when learning in the classroom or the real world.

Additionally, not only is music a key element in the brain’s development, but the creation, messages, and emotions of each song help people communicate better. Music builds a solid foundation for most communications in life while allowing people to feel confident. Music is an amazing outlet to convey emotions, as there are a plethora of different types of music. 

Each genre of music is powerful and allows someone to express what they are feeling. Whether they are excited, angry, sad, happy, or disappointed, there is always a song to relate to, which makes for an amazing way to channel emotions. Certain songs can transport people back to a certain time or memory, which allows people to understand the lyrics in a deeper way. 

Music also connects people. Different aspects of music bring people together, whether it is the emotion of the song, the genre, or the lyrics. Through this, people can dance, sing, and share experiences and feelings. It is a universal understanding because music is its own language. Because of this, people from all different cultures, languages, beliefs, and backgrounds can come together and appreciate music in their own ways. This also allows people to build their cultural identity, which is a fundamental part of who they are. 

Part of the reason why music is such a powerful element is because when listening to music, the entire brain is engaged. When this happens, the brain’s reward system is lit up, and in turn, makes people feel good. This encourages people to continue to listen to music, which is beneficial in so many ways.