The 2024 Oscars – Review

From the comedy to the kenergy, let’s see how the 2024 Oscars kept us on the edge of our seats!
The 2024 Oscars - Review

The 2024 Oscars have just premiered, and they did not disappoint! From the losers to the victors, the roasts of former U.S. Presidents or the gags of John Cena, the Oscars this year were incredible. Let’s take a look at this one of a kind event, and how it continues to shape the movie industry.

The Movies –

Poor Things, Oppenheimer, Anybody but You, Barbie, Spidey, and even Godzilla? The movies that were reviewed during this year’s Oscars were absolutely incredible, and they all showed the continued strength of the film industry. Let’s go over the nominees, and those who took home the gold!

Best Picture – Oppenheimer

Best Actor – Cillian Murphy (Oppenheimer)

Best Actress – Emma Stone (Poor Things)

Best Animated Feature – The Boy and the Heron

Best Original Song – What Was I Made For? (Billie Eilish)

Best International Feature Film – The Zone of Interest

Best Director – Christopher Nolan (Oppenheimer)

Best Supporting Actress – Da’Vine Joy Randolph (The Holdovers)

Best Supporting Actor – Robert Downey Jr. (Oppenheimer)

Best Documentary Feature – 20 Days in Mariupol

Best Original Score – Oppenheimer (Ludwig Göransson)

Best Original Screenplay – Anatomy of a Fall

Best Adapted Screenplay – American Fiction

Best Animated Short Film – War is Over! – Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko

Best Live Action Short Film – The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

Best Visual Effects (VFX) – Godzilla Minus One

Best Costume Design – Poor Things

Best Cinematography – Oppenheimer

Best Documentary (Short Subject) – The Last Repair Shop

Best Film Editing – Oppenheimer

Best Makeup and Hairstyling – Poor Things

Best Production Design – Poor Things

Best Sound – The Zone of Interest

As CLEARLY highlighted by the awards, Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer made the biggest splash this year. The awards given to Oppenheimer were well deserved, as it has become one of my favorite movies I’ve ever seen. In total, Oppenheimer received 7 Oscars, a shocking sweep of the ceremony. Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr. were absolutely incredible in their roles, and are overjoyed to be Oscar winners. 

“You know, we made a film about the man who created the atomic bomb and for better or for worse we’re all living in Oppenheimer’s world, so I’d really like to dedicate this to the peacemakers everywhere.” – Cillian Murphy

Of course, Oppenheimer wasn’t the only film to succeed at the Oscars. Besides the shocking lack of many awards for Barbie, Poor Things, Anatomy of a Fall, and The Zone of Interest were all big winners this year. Most amazing to film fanatics like myself was the Oscar nomination and win for Godzilla Minus One!!! Minus One was an incredible film that was released this year, and it officially makes the King of Monsters an Oscar winning franchise. The cast and crew of the movie even received their awards holding Godzilla action figures with matching Godzilla shoes, as an energetic fan screamed “GOJIRA!!!” during the acceptance ceremony.

The Highlights – 

This year’s Oscars were not without gags, and they were littered throughout the ceremony. Coming in at every guy’s top spot was Ryan Gosling’s incredible live performance of I’m Just Ken! While watching the ceremony, I was truly on the edge of my seat. Gosling delivered the song beautifully, showing an extremely prepared number oozing with Charisma and Charm. And, of course, Kenergy.

But who could forget the other amazing moments of the show. The absolutely amazing banter between Emily Blunt and Ryan Gosling was a delight to see, and the collaboration between former La La Land stars Gosling and Emma Stone was just as amazing. John Cena came on stage naked (I have NO clue how this was allowed) to present the award for costume design. And finally, Oscar host Jimmy Kimmel began getting political with comments about former U.S. President, Donald Trump. And of course, the show had its fair share of Will Smith Slap Jokes!

The Post Credit Scene – 

All in all, this year’s Oscars were absolutely incredible. From the awards, to the laughs, to the kenergy, the 2024 Oscars delivered. Thank you all very much for reading, and I hope that this year’s Oscars continue to move Hollywood, and the movie industry, forwards.