Nigeria’s oil rich curse

image+courtesy+of+Reuters+

image courtesy of Reuters

Anna Landre, Staff Writer

Nigeria is one of the many developing nations that have become subject to the phenomenon known as the ‘resource curse.’ This occurs when a valuable resource is found in a developing nation — in this case, Nigerian oil — and the nation’s economy shifts to accommodate it. The resource curse breeds corruption, inequality, and chaos, as can be seen through the rise of Boko Haram in Nigeria.

For Nigerian society, this has a significant impact on every facet of life. Most Nigerian people live in poverty because of the dangerous effect the resource curse has had on their well-being, and a growing number of towns and villages are subject the the violent and terroristic tendencies of militant groups, namely Boko Haram. The rise of an oil-dependent economy has led to the Nigerian government’s failure to develop its own economy, or protect its citizens.

When interviewed about this topic, Jake La Fronz, a student in the Contemporary Global Issues program at FTHS, noted, “In the long run, the oil dependency of Nigeria builds up anti-Western terrorism… Since nations like Great Britain and the United States have dominated the developing world, they have forced these nations to export the only resources useful to them.”

Contrary to Nigeria’s situation, American society has not been subject to the resource curse. As a former imperial power, America was more apt to exploit other nations for their resources, rather than be exploited itself. The effect of this is plainly seen; there is no American equivalent to Boko Haram, and, in turn, the poverty and violence levels in America are much less severe than that of Nigeria. As La Fronz comments, “Oil dependency in Nigeria caused problems ranging from cross ethnic conflict, to simple poverty and horrible living conditions.” By contrasting America and Nigeria, one can more accurately interpret the issues and policies that cause them to differ.

Nigeria’s predicament is one that is only too common in developing countries formerly subject to imperial rule. During imperial rule, countries like Nigeria were not allowed much autonomy, so when they were cast into independence, the effect was disastrous for many citizens. The global demand for oil has caused Nigeria to rely on the valuable resource, and this has been detrimental in the long run. To reduce poverty and better their people, Nigeria’s government, especially the new regime, should put more regulations on the oil industry. They should use the revenue gained from it to further citizen welfare and opportunities, and reduce corrupt dealings.