Polls

Best before-school coffee spot?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

My Trip to Dover Motor Speedway!
Cameron Delgado, Staff Writer • June 17, 2024
UEFA Euro 2024 Preview
Samuel Fung, Staff Writer • June 10, 2024
Paul Skenes is Here to Stay
Justin Young, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024
Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters Recap
Allison Vaughan, Staff Writer • May 30, 2024

What To Do This Holiday Season

Are you wondering what to do during the cold weather and holiday season? You’re not the only one. During the 2023 holiday season, there are many fun activities you can do with your family or friends. Below is a list of holiday activities, which include Christmas activities!

1. Ice Skating 

The first fun activity you can do during winter, or any time of the year, is ice skating at the Howell Ice Arena! You don’t need to be skilled, there are walls to hold onto or skate helpers for the younger kids.

2. Sledding

With a steep hill of snow and a trash can lid, you can be as fast as a plane while sledding. Preferably, there are actual sleds to use (which you can buy for cheap off Amazon or in-store) for a better result while sledding, but either way, it can be just as fun. Sledding is a fun activity to do while bundled up in the snow.

3. Decorate for the Holidays

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, you can still decorate your house with winter decorations. You can use fake snow, snowflakes, and more! If you do celebrate Christmas, you can put up the Christmas tree, hang stockings, and put lights up around the house. Decorating for the holidays is a fun activity for the whole family!

4. Go on a holiday lights drive

With your family or friends, take a drive around yours, or other neighborhoods, to see some Christmas lights! Some houses have light shows, which include holiday songs to sing along to.

5. Visit the Polar Express train

In Pennsylvania, there is a Polar Express train you can take that is like the movie! There’s hot chocolate, cookies, music, and even a visit from Santa Claus. At the end of the train ride, you can go out for dinner, or even visit the local gift shop.

6. Christmas Movie Marathon

You wouldn’t believe the amount of Christmas movies there are to watch. During December, you can fill up your nights with a good cup of hot chocolate and a movie. There are the classics, like Home Alone, Christmas Vacation, The Grinch, A Christmas Story, Elf, and more. There are also some new movies, like Spirited, Exmas, The Naughty Nine, or Family Switch.

7. Holiday Shopping

Although the holidays are not all about the gifts, it’s fun to give them. Shopping for your family or closest friends is something you can do to give back. Remember when shopping, think about their hobbies, interests, and their daily life. What do they use or could use often that you could replace or get them?

8. Secret Santa or White Elephant

If you want to plan a friend hangout for the holiday season, have everybody participate in a game of Secret Santa or White Elephant! 

Secret Santa is when everyone picks a name from the group and buys a gift for them, and then everyone exchanges gifts. 

White elephant is when you buy a random gift, it could be funny or something everyone would enjoy, and place them on a table. Then one by one, everyone picks a random gift from the table.

9. Debate whether or not Die Hard is a Christmas movie

Want to have a debate with your family? This is the one to have. I don’t think Die Hard is a Christmas movie, but you might. Ask your family and friends what they think. 

These are just some of the fun activities you can do during this holiday season with your family or friends. Snuggling up for a good movie, or going outside in the snow are two perfect options for a winter day. Enjoy the holiday season and Merry Christmas!