How to Deal with College-Related Stress

While May 1st, Decision Day, seems like ages away, many seniors already feel the pressures of college. Applications, supplementals, and scholarships leave many overwhelmed. I know that for me personally, the sheer amount of work it takes to apply to colleges and scholarships on top of schoolwork is stressful enough. Finding ways to organize ourselves and find relaxing outlets can be challenging, but it’s necessary to prevent burnout.

I figured the best way to introduce different relaxation methods would be to ask current seniors who are going through the application process. Below are the accounts of three different seniors here at FTHS:

Leah Bloom: “College applications have been difficult, especially with holding myself accountable to doing the supplementals. What helped me the most was narrowing down my application list to only my top schools so I didn’t have to stress about too many essays.”

Alexa Stein: “The college application process can definitely be overwhelming, but I do my best to stay organized because I find that keeps me calm. For me, that means spreadsheets and lists, and I try to remind myself that I can be happy anywhere.”

And our own Editor-in-Chief, Leona Gagalac: “On a Google Sheet, I have my master list of colleges, their application requirements, and supplementals so I can track how much I have to write (categorized by topic, word count, deadline, etc. because I am crazy). Chipping at it little by little every week made the process a lot less stressful and more manageable. I have my group of friends and trusted people that I’ve been able to have read supplementals and ask for advice, so my anxieties about the process haven’t been too overwhelming.”

Organization and time management are some of the most crucial skills when it comes to college applications. As stated above, I also use different spreadsheets and documents to keep track of my progress. While keeping yourself organized is important, it’s equally as important to make sure that you’re taking time for your hobbies and interests. Recently I’ve been reading more often (I highly recommend the new Hunger Games book) and listening to new music. 

Before we know it, our applications will be submitted and it will be Decision Day. But for now, it’s essential to stay organized and calm. A simple spreadsheet can save you a lot of stress, and even just spending some time on Facetime with friends or watching TV can help you unwind. We’re almost there, and it’s clear that the class of 2024 is going to do great things in college and beyond. Good luck with the rest of your applications!