Student Profile: Sarah Hughes

Lindsey Golotko, Editor

Name: Sarah Hughes
Grade: 10
How long have you been playing basketball for, and what made you want to try it?
I started playing rec basketball when I was 6 or 7 and played on my first travel team at about 9 years old. My older sister had played basketball before me and I thought it seemed fun, so that is why I decided to try it.
What is your favorite aspect of basketball?

I really enjoy that basketball is a team sport. Certain sports such as track and field are more individualized and focus on one person rather than the team. I just don’t find that to be as much fun.  Although there are certain individual aspects in basketball, you could not play the game without four other teammates on the court with you.

What inspired you to try out for the school’s basketball team?

As I said before, I have been playing the game since I was young. I also play school and club soccer, which are mainly played during the fall, end of winter, spring, and summer instead of the whole winter. I wanted to be playing in every season so trying out for the school basketball team would allow me to play a sport through the entire winter. I’ve always had a lot of fun playing the sport so it wasn’t even a question to play in high school.

How long have you been on varsity/ a varsity starter? How did it feel to be such a prominent player as such a young student?

I started playing varsity last year as a freshman but have only become a starter for the team this year, as a sophomore. As a freshman I was not an extremely important aspect to the team but when I did go in I made the most of my moments. The pressure of playing varsity as a freshman was nerve-racking, but I feel a lot more comfortable this year. It feels good to be able to play more this year and I am happy to do all I can for the team.

What is your favorite part about the school basketball team and why?

I love playing on the school team for many reasons, but mainly because it’s a great experience and I have made many friends from it. I love all of my teammates and have been lucky enough to be very close with all of the seniors. It will be hard to see them go next year.

What is the team’s main goal this season?

Our goal is to just find any momentum we can and carry it on game by game. This season is a good season to grow for us underclassmen and hopefully we can do that.

What will the girl’s basketball team have to do in order to be successful this season?

This season we need to figure things out little by little. Every practice and game is a chance to improve. Although we have been struggling to win games and find our rhythm, it is important that we have fun and work through any difficult situations as a team.

What are you most excited about this season?

I’m just excited to keep moving on as a team and improving as much as we can each practice.

Do you want to continue playing in college?

It’s difficult to say if I will continue playing basketball (or soccer) in college. Although I am not completely positive on which career I would like to pursue, I know it will be in the medical field. Focusing on such difficult and vigorous subjects and being an athlete at the same time will definitely be a challenge that I’m not sure I can face in order to be successful after college.

What advice would you give to students who are interested in trying out for basketball or another sport?

The best advice I could give is to have fun. Do not force yourself into doing something that feels more like a burden than it does an enjoyable experience. As a competitive athlete I know how easy it is to focus on mistakes you’re making and beat yourself up over them, but at the end of the day, if you aren’t having fun and looking forward to every practice and game, then find something you really do enjoy and try it instead.