Erica’s Friday Playlist: 10/6/17

Erica Singh, Staff Writer

“Covet” by Basement

This very melancholy sounding song is perfect when you just want to jam out alone. There’s not many lyrics throughout the song however, it is such a hard yet soft song – which may not make sense but it’d be more understandable if listened to. The lyrics talk about wanting one person, and one person only. When you’re with them you just feel like it’s a dream because the moment of being with that person seems so surreal.

“Girl Crush” Cover by Harry Styles

The reason I chose to write about the cover instead of the original song is because in my opinion Harry’s voice fits this song so perfectly, i’m not saying that Little Big Town (the original band who sings it) doesn’t sound great because I really enjoy the original song, I just feel like the raspy tone of Harry’s voice fits this song very well. The lyrics talk about being jealous of a girl that is with another person. They say they have a “girl crush” because they want to be exactly like the girl so that maybe the person they’re singing about will like her more.

“All I Think About Is You” by Ansel Elgort

This upbeat song is something you’d want to listen to after a breakup but when you’re also super tired of listening to sad music 24/7. This song’s gloomy lyrics talk about the good times throughout a relationship and wishing the other person felt the same and although he’s upset, he can’t change the way the girl feels. The vibe of the song mask the lyrics so while you’re jamming, you’re also relating to all of the lyrics.

“1-800-273-8255” by Logic, Alessia Cara, and Khalid

This song is undeniably excellent. I can’t even express how perfect this song is, it really touches with millennials nowadays. If you weren’t aware already, the title is the suicide hotline for anyone who needs it which is such a eye opening thing Logic has done. The lyrics start off very triggering with Logic explaining how he doesn’t want to be alive, and the lyrics slowly progress to saying “I want you to be alive” which then leads up to him explaining how there’s a glimmer of hope and something occurs that sparks his attention and he finally wants to be alive and live again. The lyrics are so simple yet so powerful.

“Young Dumb & Broke” by Khalid
I just want to start off by saying this song is literally my “senior year song” and I hate that I just admitted that but every senior has the “senior year song” and this is definitely it. This song is such a easygoing song, the sound and beat all fit together perfectly and it really is such a great song. The lyrics are literally about being a high school student having struggles with relationships and life in general but overall this is just an amazing song.