Ms. Galinski is Heading to the White House

Autumn Cataldo, Editor

Freehold Township’s very own beloved AP History teacher has been accepted into the White House Historical Association’s Teacher Institute this past week. It is a teacher workshop at the David M. Rubenstein National Center for White House History this summer in Washington, D.C. This non-profit organization was founded by first lady Jacqueline Kennedy in 1961. The mission of this workshop is to discuss topics of history in order to protect, preserve, and provide the public the opportunity to learn about  the rich history of America’s Executive Mansion.

When did you apply to the White House Historical Association’s Teacher Institute?

I applied to the Teacher Institute the first week of May.  I have attended summer teacher institutes almost every summer that I have been a teacher.  I have been able to study Abraham Lincoln in Illinois, slavery in the SC low country, Colonial America in Williamsburg, George Washington at Mount Vernon, etc.  I am always looking for new opportunities because I have great experiences at summer institutes for teachers.  I am able to work with history teachers from around the country.  It is rejuvenating and inspires me to create different lessons for my classroom.  This year, I decided that I wasn’t going to apply to a summer program (most applications are due in December or January).  Then, in April, my supervisor forwarded an email about this opportunity to my department and I couldn’t resist applying.

Was this your first time applying to the association?

This was my first time applying for the program.

What did the application process entail?

I had to submit my resume, respond to a few essay prompts, and include a letter of recommendation from my supervisor.

What sparked your desire to originally become a high school history teacher?

When I was in elementary school, I loved playing “school” with my little sisters.  I loved reading historical fiction since I was in elementary school, and I loved hearing stories about the Great Depression and World War II from my grandfather.  I decided that I wanted to be a history teacher my junior year in high school because I was inspired by the Social Studies Teachers who taught me.  It combined my love for teaching and history.  I went into college knowing that I wanted to be a history teacher.

What are you most looking forward to at this five-day teacher workshop?

I am looking forward to working with teachers from across the nation.  It will be great to share lesson ideas and resources.  I am also looking forward to spending the time in our nation’s capital.

What is a topic or idea of history that you are anticipating to bring to the workshop and discussion among fellow social studies teachers?

I believe that the major focus of discussion will be the role of the executive branch throughout American history.  The White House Historical Association has a digital library with many resources for teachers.  I imagine that I will have the opportunity to use those resources to create new lessons on various presidential administrations.

Being that you are one of thirty teachers welcomed into this workshop of 2017, what was your initial reaction following your acceptance?

I was very excited!  I am looking forward to my week in D.C.