The New and Improved Patriot Press

Lauren Lavelle, Editor-in-Chief

The Patriot Press, Freehold Township’s primary source for school news and world happenings, has recently undergone a significant makeover.  Aside from transitioning to an online format rather than a print one, the Patriot Press has also had a shift in advisors.

After advising the paper for over 12 years, English teacher Mrs. Richardson hung up her press pass and decided to hand the reins over to Mr. DiGiuseppe. “I love journalism and writing—I’ve advised the yearbook and the literary magazine—and any outlet that shows students the more practical and ‘useful’ side of writing is great in my book,” said DiGiuseppe of his new position.

Over the years, The Patriot Press has thrived off the ideas and opinions of creative staff reporters who understand that students need to be heard. Unfortuantly, with only four issues surfacing a year, the students of Freehold Township were often left wanting more. DiGiuseppe knew he had to give the student body something continuous and constant to meet their standards.

DiGiuseppe felt that moving to an easily accessible online format was the best option. “I asked myself what my own strengths are, and I realized that, as a tech nerd, going online seemed like a natural progression.”

With the school year underway, positive changes within The Patriot Press have already begun to arise. Not only has the staff grown in number but they are more eager than ever, constantly submitting articles and showing that they truly care about the well-being of Freehold Township.

“So far, the staff has been awesome.  The website has only been live for a few days and we’ve already got almost two dozen stories posted, which is above and beyond my hopes,” states DiGiuseppe.

In addition to the superb staff, the website is a fantastic representation of what The Patriot Press is all about. With easy to navigate tools and tabs, students will have no problem staying up to date with school news. The website also offers several sections including Student Life, Sports, and Entertainment.

Due to their passion, hard work, and dedication, both the staff and advisor of The Patriot Press have transformed a virtually unknown newspaper into something truly worth writing about. DiGiuseppe feels the next and final step is simply getting the word out there. “I think that our success will be contingent on the word spreading, so please tell your friends!”