Top 5: Last Minute Holiday Gifts

Brittney Ho, Staff Writer

If you’re reading this article, it probably means you are in dire need of last-minute gifts for the upcoming holidays. With Christmas, Kwanzaa, and Hanukkah all falling on the same week this year, it seems as if everybody could benefit from some stocking stuffers. For a memorable gift, abandon the clichés; no more gift cards. No more chocolates. No more cash-stuffed Hallmark cards. Opt instead for these useful, personal, and inexpensive presents that will leave anyone pleasantly surprised.

The following methods are tried and true from yours truly, a student just like you.  You’re welcome in advance.

1. Hot Chocolate in Mason Jars 

Image and recipe courtesy of lovegrowswild

A Top 5 article is not a Top 5 article without mention of sweet treats. An incredibly cute gift idea for a family member or significant other is a DIY hot cocoa mix prepared in a jar, so that all the recipient has to do is add in milk or water straight into the jar to enjoy a homemade mug of chocolate. This creative gift turns out with many beautiful layers that taste just like the holidays.

The jar itself is very easy! It only involves layering powdered creamer, powdered milk, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, chopped up candy canes, and mini marshmallows. Close off the jar and top with a ribbon and personalized note. When ready to enjoy, just add in milk or water.

Check out the recipe here: http://lovegrowswild.com/2015/11/homemade-hot-chocolate-mix/

1. Smartphone Accessories 

image courtesy of Amazon

I, personally, am a fan of practical presents.  Sure, sentimental gifts are warming to the heart, but I always aim to give gifts that I know will be regularly used. You simply cannot go wrong with smartphone accessories. Once you know the correct model and size, there’s a world of options that all would make great gifts.

Extra long charger

• A must! The definition of freedom is being able to use your phone from anywhere in the room while still being plugged in. Amazon offers 10ft chargers for $8.

Phone case

• Phone cases are another statement accessory that are also very practical for any phone user. There is a phone case for every taste. For a more intricate design, Amazon offers beautiful engraved wooden cases. For the clumsy, an OtterBox will make any phone indestructible. Pick one you think will suit them!

1. image courtesy of Target

Cozy Winter Apparel

Winter means brutal, frigid weather, which means cozy clothes are a must. Based on the recipient’s personality, you can purchase cute, trendy pajamas or guilty-pleasure ugly sweaters. For the former, Aerie makes very comfortable and high-quality sleepwear. I would love to receive any of their flannel pajama bottoms, which are currently sold on the website for $18.

For the latter, the Freehold Raceway Mall Primark is an absolute gem. Primark makes high quality products for very low prices. Their fleece sweaters are warm, comfortable, and the perfect feature for an ugly sweater party! Primark.com sells sleepwear for men and women for $10.

Optional (but highly recommended): fuzzy socks! Target sells $2 pairs!

1. Beauty Kit 

image courtesy of Sephora

Another present that can’t go wrong is anything involving body glam. The one place for all of your needs, cheap or expensive, is definitely Sephora. During the holiday season, the store is literally packed with quick kits of makeup, perfume, nail polish, make-up brushes, etc., that you can just grab and go.

My favorite this year by far is the Formula X-System XCEL- Gel-Like Nail Polish Set ($16). Formula X is one of the best nail polish brands (each polish is selling individually on sale for $5 now!), and this kit makes a home manicure just as professional and long lasting as a salon manicure.  The set comes with 3 different polishes and then it can be personalized with a color of the buyer’s choice.

For all of these reusable, high-quality polishes, this set is a steal! It’s the perfect balance of practicality and personality.

1. image courtesy of Target

Infuser Water Bottle

Another useful gift is an infuser water bottle. It’s a plastic water bottle, but has a chamber connected to the cap that can be stuffed with fruit to make detox water. I use the Primula Sentinel Tritan 22 oz water bottle from Target ($17) every single day.

I like to put lemon and strawberries in mine. Different fruits in detox water target different toxic areas of the body. To really complete this gift, attach a little recipe card that the recipient can follow when using their infuser bottle.

The key to holiday gifts is making them personal, but also useful. Every time they use it, they’ll be reminded of your generosity and thoughtfulness! Happy holidays- I hope you give and receive the presents of your dreams.