Grammy Awards Celebrate and Remember

Hailey Ruderman, Editor

On Monday, February 15, LL Cool J hosted his fifth Grammy Awards. Hundreds of celebrities strutted the red carpet anxiously waiting to see if they have won one of music’s most valuable awards.

To open up the show, Taylor Swift performed her single “Out of Woods” and she certainly did not disappoint. After her performance, they reminisced on past Grammy Award shows to remember the ones who have passed and to show everyone the wonderful shows that have occured.

To start off with the awards, Ice Cube and his son presented the Best Rap Album. The nominees included Nicki Minaj, Drake, Kendrick Lamar and many more. (All winners will be posted below)

To continue with the performances, country singers Carrie Underwood and Sam Hunt sang a combination of Carrie’s song “Heartbeat” and Sam’s song “Take Your Time.”

Ariana Grande then introduced The Weeknd to sing his songs “Can’t Feel My Face” and “In the Night.” After that, Selena Gomez announced a duet between Andra Day and Ellie Goulding and they sang “Rise Up” and “Love Me Like You Do.”

This year, the Grammys were all about honoring great artists because Demi Lovato, Meghan Trainor, John Legend, Luke Bryan and Tyrece Gibson sang a combination of Lionel Richies’ greatest hits. Lionel, himself, then went up on stage to sing with the five singers, making it a memorable night for everyone.

Going along with the theme of honoring a loved musician, the a Capella group, Pentatonix, and the talented Stevie Wonder sang “That’s the Way of the World” to honor the late Maurice White from Earth, Wind and Fire. The Eagles along with Jackson Browne then honored Glenn Frey by singing the Eagles classic, “Take It Easy.”

Awards have been won left and right, and every winner has deserved their Grammy.

James Bay and Tori Kelly blew everyone away with their performance of the songs “Let it Be” and “Hollow.”

To change things up a bit, the Grammys traveled to New York to show a live performance of a song from the musical Hamilton.

Grammy winning rapper, Kendrick Lamar killed his performance (in a good way) with a song from his album “To Pimp a Butterfly.” His performance included lots of dancers and him being trapped in chains.

Miguel sang a tribute to Michael Jackson and it was great. Lady Gaga channeled her inner David Bowie and sang a couple of his best songs to show how much of an inspiration he was to everyone who admired his work. To finish up the tributes of the night, Bonnie Raitt and Chris Stapleton honored the late BB King.

Although Adele had a couple of difficulties with her performance of her song “All I Ask,” it was still a hit with the audience. To end all of the incredible performances of the night, Justin Bieber sang a remix of his songs “Love Yourself” and “Where Are U Now” with DJs Shrillex and Diplo.

Meghan Trainor moved everyone when she cried from joy during her acceptance speech for the Best New Artist Award. Taylor Swift also gave a very uplifting speech when she won the biggest award of the night: Best Album of the Year.

“Overall it was a great and interesting award show.” Said Ben Meyerson, freshman.

Here are the award winners of the night: 

Taylor Swift holds the award for Best Song Written For Visual Media for "Safe & Sound" backstage at the 55th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California February 10, 2013.  REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni (UNITED STATES  - Tags: ENTERTAINMENT)  (GRAMMYS-BACKSTAGE) - RTR3DMER
Taylor Swift holds the award for Best Song Written For Visual Media for “Safe & Sound” backstage at the 55th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, California February 10, 2013. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni (UNITED STATES – Tags: ENTERTAINMENT) (GRAMMYS-BACKSTAGE) – RTR3DMER
  • Best Rap Album- To Pimp A Butterfly– Kendrick Lamar
  • Best Country Album- Chris Stapleton Traveler
  • Person of the Year- Lionel Richie
  • Song of the Year- Ed Sheeran “Thinking Out Loud”
  • Best Pop Solo Performance- Ed Sheeran “Thinking Out Loud”
  • Best Pop Duo/Group Performance- Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson “Uptown Funk”
  • Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album- The Silver Lining: The Songs Of Jerome Kern Tony Bennett & Bill Charlap
  • Musical Theater Album- Hamilton
  • Best Rock Album- Alabama Shakes
  • Best Pop Vocal Album- Taylor Swift 1989
  • Best Dance Recording- Diplo, Shrillex, and Justin Bieber “Where Are U Now”
  • Best Dance Album- Diplo and Shrillex Present Jack U
  • Best R&B Album- Earned It  The weeknd
  • Best Music Video- Taylor Swift “Bad Blood”
  • Best New Artist- Meghan Trainor