The Best Jobs for Students

Junior Nicole Madonna gets ready for a shift at iPlay

Leah Emmerich, Editor-in-Chief

As a teenager, it is hard to find a job that doesn’t overwhelm you and interfere with your school work. A lot of teens think that the only places they can work are fast food restaurants or any place that will make them pick up trash for minimum wage. Luckily, there are better options in the Monmouth county area that need kids that are willing to work. 

• The Mall / Retail:  Retail seems like a scary job to do, based off of all the horror stories people who work at WalMart will tell. In reality, it can be a fast-paced, interesting job. Working in a clothing or electronics store gives you the chance to interact with all different kinds of people, and learn how to handle difficult situations. Dealing with customers can be tricky at a young age, but if you learn how to do it well your managers will recognize that and have a high opinion of you. Managers will ultimately be the ones helping you into your next job, so impressing them is key. 

• Six Flags Great Adventure:  Great Adventure is known to most teens as a great spot to hang out with friends on a summer day. But, it doubles as a great place to get a job. Working in the park itself gives you the chance to run games and rides, but the waterpark is also an option.  “The waterpark is a great place to bring family and friends and and becoming a certified lifeguard is probably the smartest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” junior Laura Berrios says, explaining her work experience at Six Flags. Great Adventure is extending its season, giving the public access to the park all the way into January, making it a perfect job to keep throughout the summer and during the school year. 

•  iPlay America:  iPlay America is an indoor amusement park located in Freehold. “iPlay is life!” Junior Nicole Madonna enthusiastically says. There are many different types of jobs that are available at iPlay, but most of them involve being around small children. This could either make or break the work experience, but for teens that love kids, it is a fun and rewarding job. For kids who are super enthusiastic and love to have fun, party hosting at iPlay gives you the freedom to be a kid again, while still making money. But, for the more reserved kids, running rides, games, food outlets, and admissions still allows you to step out of your comfort zone, talk to families, and still have a great time. 

• Get Air:  Get Air is an indoor trampoline park located in Freehold. It may just be the coolest place ever to have a job. Being mature and having a lot of self control is a necessity for this job, mostly because most parents don’t want their children to be jumped on by older kids, but those are traits you should already have going into the work force. The park is family oriented and gives you a good opportunity to work on social and leaderships skills. 

• Internships at the court house, with congressmen, with architects, etc.:  This is for more ambitious teens, with a desire to jump into a career they’re interested in right away. Interning gives you the chance to start networking young, which is extremely important in politics and business. 

• Receptionists: Answering phones and filling out paper work for hours seems like a job a teenager might not want to have, but there is a social aspect to it. “I like being a receptionist because it’s an easy and good first job. It also teaches you how to talk to people on a professional level and it can help you be more comfortable talking to people you don’t know,” junior Hailey Ruderman says of her job as receptionist for a dance studio. 

For most high school students, jobs they apply for now will most likely be their first job. It is rewarding to start having responsibilities early, especially in the long run. Businesses are going to look to hire people that are not only smart, but have good work ethic, which can be acquired over a person’s teenage years. So get out there and make some moolah, kids.