BotC Juniors are Ready to Shock the School

Leah Emmerich, Editor-in-Chief

With Battle of the Classes right around the corner, everybody is getting hype to watch the grades compete for victory. 

The junior class representatives this year are ready to give it their all. These students have been training hard for weeks to ensure a win for their class. Some of last year’s participants are back again, some for a 3rd time. But the team is still diversifying from prior years. Teammate Mary Purcell explains saying “I signed up sophomore year for the first time so this will be my second year in BOTC. The team is definitely a lot different from last year, we were all really sad when Nick [Coluccio] couldn’t do it because he was a great member for two years, but Matt Lowe is the best addition we could ask for.” Along with Purcell, some of the familiar faces of the Junior team will be Starr McKenna, Kelly Anderson, Michael Colicchia, and more. 

In terms of differences within the team that aren’t people, this years team believes that they are better than ever. “We are different from sophomore year because we have more creativity and we’re more enthusiastic,” says Grace Ganz. 

Purcell adds, “I think the main difference is the style of our practices. We are more organized in choosing people for each competition and getting multiple parts of the dance done at once. We multitask to the best of our ability,” sharing the secret to their future success. 

As to what each member thinks they contribute to the team individually ties into the overall progressiveness of the team. 

“I think I really help with creating and painting our props, and making practices an enjoyable time.” Colicchia says, with his focus on making BOTC a fun time for his team. 

Anderson has the best of both worlds with  a focus on making BOTC a fun time for the supporters in the stands and her team, as well as helping her team succeed. “I believe that I am very motivated and am able to get the crowd pumped up as a whole grade as well as enforce the maintenance of positivity into our group. I also have a lot of ideas, as well as everyone else, and am able to stretch them from just simple ideas to actual things. I love having fun with the group, while also being able to get the hard work done. Practices are very enjoyable for us because we all work great together as a team and all have a lot to offer as BOTC candidates; and I’m more than excited to be working with such amazing people.” 

BOTC has several different events, which gives the teammates a chance to show off their particular skills. This year’s Junior team is getting excited to participate in events they are certain they can win. McKenna hyped up the team saying, “I’m really looking forward to all the new and exciting challenges and the lip sync with my team this year, I think we’re really gonna shock a lot of people with what we have coming.”

Anderson is also confident in her teams skills in the lip sync event adding, “I’m most excited to preform our lip sync battle this year. This is where most of our time is invested and we are able to really show our creativity and entertain the crowd. We have a lot of fun performing and execute it very well. We are definitely going to put up a fight during the lip sync portion particularly.” 

Ganz is excited for a different portion of the battle saying, “The event I am looking most forward to is tug of war because we dominate every year.” 

Colicchia is pumped for a less hyped up event: “I’m most looking forward to Chicken in the Hen House because it’s so chaotic and hysterical to be in or watch.” 

In summary, the Juniors are going to be well represented this year at BOTC. The team has been training hard and they are ready to face any challenge the night might bring. McKenna says it best: “It’s gonna be a good year to be a junior.”