2024 Super Bowl LVIII Preview – 49ers vs. Chiefs

With Super Bowl LVIII coming up in Las Vegas, intense game planning is taking place on both sides. Both the Chiefs and the 49ers are out to seek glory and solidify their place in NFL history. Can they do it?

The Chiefs

We all know what Patrick Mahomes can do on the big stage. After all, this is his fourth time going to the Super Bowl in six years as a starter, and he already has two titles to his name. He has the experience, as does Travis Kelce, who will have to step up and be the number one target in the passing game (which he has done in both of the last two games). But, the defense is going to need to step up big time. The 49ers have arguably the most stacked offense in all of football that relies on the ground game. Steve Spagnuolo has a huge task on his hands, as his defense, which was not great defending the run during the season, will have to face Christian McCaffrey, who is the best running back in the league. And, the young secondary has to deal with two great wideouts. Luckily, they have experience.

The 49ers

Imagine this: You’re Brock Purdy, “Mr. Irrelevant” in the 2022 draft, and you are running a passing play. You drop back and you look to your left. You see the best left tackle in the league, Trent Williams, holding off the other team’s best pass rusher. Deebo Samuel is running a route. Look to the middle and George Kittle is open. Look to the right, Brandon Aiyuk is surging upfield whilst Christian McCaffrey is waiting by the line of scrimmage as a checkdown. The point is this 49ers offense may go down as yet another great all-time 49ers offense and they are the favorite because of that. Their front seven is also outstanding; the defensive line of Nick Bosa, Javon Hargrave, Arik Armstead, and Chase Young (who all have Pro Bowl nods) will certainly cause havoc against an offensive line set to be without a 100% healthy Joe Thuney (he is unlikely to play as he is nursing an injury). If Steve Wilks, the defensive coordinator, calls stunts here or there, they could throw off Patrick Mahomes. The secondary, despite having star corner Charvarius Ward, is a weak spot. Most of the players are prone to penalties or giving up big plays, so the pass rush as well as the linebacker group need to put in the performance of a lifetime to ensure victory.

The 49ers, on paper, look like the team to beat. But, the Chiefs have a player who looks like he will outperform Tom Brady. He outperformed the Eagles last year despite their pass rush being insane. And the 49ers secondary may not be ready to face Mahomes and his improvisational skill. Sure, the 49ers have their QB, but Mahomes is 3-0 against the 49ers, and next Sunday, I think the record will go to 4-0.