Polls

Best before-school coffee spot?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Tips for Improving Your Basketball Game

Improve Your Game With These Techniques

NBA players like LeBron James and Michael Jordan excel at basketball for a reason. Even before these iconic players step onto a court, they start their day with a positive attitude and mental readiness. They consistently practice ball handling and shooting skills during practices, and right before a game. These players know basketball is not only a physical game, but requires strategic thinking as well. This essay will explore how any player can develop exceptional basketball skills. By focusing on mental preparedness, mastering ball handling, and improving shooting, aspiring basketball stars can advance their game to a whole new level.

First of all, having mental preparedness is a must! The qualities of being a great basketball player isn’t just about getting physically involved; getting mentally engaged in the game is just as important! Mental preparedness is critical to excel in basketball. It impacts a player’s focus, decision-making, and overall performance. In order to be mentally prepared for the game, multiple strategies need to be brought into play, such as goal setting and visualization techniques. The first strategy, goal setting, helps to provide a purpose for athletes. SMART goals (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound), provide a clear path. The second strategy is equally important: visualizing successful plays. Effective visualization techniques such as rehearsing individual plays and overcoming challenges, help athletes gain confidence. A third mental preparedness technique is managing stress. Deep breathing or meditation can assist athletes maintain their composure under pressure. Incorporating all of these strategies will help players and teams gain confidence and determination in their athletic pursuits.

Another skill set that is also great to have is ball handling. Some may think ball handling is silly and unnecessary, but it is actually very important. As a matter of fact, go and ask any coach on how to get better at basketball, and the first thing they will say is, “practice ball handling.” Ball handling is learning different types of dribbles to develop control of the basketball. Ball handling is a great quality to have in basketball because it can help a player get past their defender, and can give them a wide open path to make a layup. Some ball handling skills players can practice are right and left hand dribbles. Make sure to dribble with control, and practice high dribbles to the shoulder, low dribbles that go no higher than the knees, and regular dribbles at the waist. Players should also be dribbling with their eyes up and utilizing their weaker hand to be a balanced dribbler in both hands. A second ball handling skill that is excellent practice are “V-dribbles.” “V-dribbles,” are a great way to get past a defender. Their purpose is to do a fake crossover. Crossovers and behind the back dribbles, the third type of dribbles, serve a very similar purpose to “V-dribbles.” They make opponents go in the wrong direction, which provides players a wide open space to make their shot or go for the layup. Players who implement crossover techniques into their game will be taking a page straight out of Chris Paul’s playbook. A more complex drill players can practice is dribbling in between their legs. Dribbling between the legs will keep the ball out of the defender’s reach. While this seems like a lot of information to take in, it is all required to advance ball handling skills to be as good as Kyrie Irving. All of these varied ball handling techniques will help players become better shooters.

Finally, shooting is arguably the most obvious skill set needed in basketball. There are different kinds of shots in basketball. The easiest shot to make is the free throw shot. If a player gets fouled by the opposing team, they are rewarded one to three free throws from the free throw line. Believe it or not, there are different degrees of a free throw shot. A player will receive one free throw if they get fouled while making a shot that goes into the basket. Two free throws are awarded if they get fouled while executing a layup and the shot doesn’t go in. Three free throws are given if they get fouled while attempting a three point shot and it gets intercepted before getting to the net. One important tip to remember with free throws is to shoot by lifting your heels, not jumping. This helps the player maintain control of the shot and not lose balance. Neglecting this fundamental piece of advice is the Achilles heel of every player. The second type of shot that players need to master is the three pointer. Three pointers are the most difficult shot to make because the distance from the basketball is greater than a free throw, which makes it harder to execute the shot with precision and control. It is highly recommended to only shoot three pointers either when players are wide open, or at the buzzer when the shot clock or quarter ends. In order to make a three pointer, players need to jump on their toes which gives them greater momentum for shooting from longer distances. The third type of shots are mid range shots and fade-aways, which are easier to make. For these types of shots, players are allowed to step inside the three point line and shoot from whatever range they feel comfortable. But, in order to get better at shooting, players need to practice the most critical and fourth type of shot, the form shot. Just ask any NBA player, and they will tell you that form shots are fundamental to shooting. Form shots are where people go up close to the rim and just shoot from that distance. It might seem pointless, but this is what helps players get better at shooting and develop consistency in their shots. As players practice the form shot over and over again, their shooting skills will become as smooth as silk. Developing overall strong shooting skills in basketball is crucial for players to improve their shooting accuracy, shooting percentage, and their overall game.

To summarize, mental preparedness, ball handling, and shooting are all essential for mastering basketball. Mental preparedness develops focus and enables decision-making on the court. Ball handling teaches players control of the ball and effective maneuvering to outsmart opponents. Shooting skills provide the foundation for consistent scoring of points. By following the strategies discussed and dedicating consistent effort, young athletes will be able to nurture their skills and confidence needed to excel at basketball.

View Comments (1)