Polls

Best before-school coffee spot?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Who’s Better? LeBron James or Michael Jordan?

When the word “basketball” crosses one’s mind, LeBron James and Michael Jordan are two names that often accompany it. These two athletes have made significant contributions to the National Basketball Association (NBA) and both make compelling arguments as to why they should be dubbed “The Greatest of All Time.” They have broken many records, achieved countless feats, and serve as role models to others. Although both men are studded with similar accolades, their approach to the sport couldn’t be any more different, with each showcasing unique playing styles that differentiate their legacies and set them apart.

Michael Jordan, the player who is most often acknowledged as the greatest of all time, had an exceptional playing style. One of his most notable skills was his ability to remain suspended in the air for a long period of time while driving towards the hoop. His “hang time” was measured to reach .92 seconds, almost double that of an average human’s hang time of .53 seconds (Inverse.com). Another key attribute that elevated his play was his heightened sense of awareness when it came to his surroundings on the court. With his body engaged, he was able to control the basketball and get past his defenders with moves like his signature fade-away jump shot, which he could execute over either shoulder, a skill very few athletes are capable of (southwestjournal.com). However, the attribute that created the greatest separation between Michael and his competition was his determination and winning mentality. This mindset proved to be a quality that not only aided in sharpening Michael’s on-court ability but also greatly motivated his teammates to perform at a higher level as well. Moreover, by implementing the triangle offensive strategy, Michael built trust with his Chicago Bulls teammates, setting aside his desire to constantly handle the ball and instead engaging each player (southwestjournal.com). This strategy, mindset, and team involvement are what eventually led to many of Michael Jordan’s career achievements in the NBA. He earned five regular season MVP awards and ten scoring titles throughout his NBA career and is one of few athletes to have double-digit NBA All-Star Game appearances. However, the crown jewel of Jordan’s legacy is his six NBA Championship victories with the Chicago Bulls, three-peating on two separate occasions. His legacy continues with his many accomplishments off the court. For example, he helped normalize sports athletes as successful business entrepreneurs by entering into lucrative business ventures like Nike, Gatorade, and Hanes. He was also the first former NBA player to hold a majority stake in a sports franchise, the Charlotte Bobcats (sportskeeda.com). As if he hadn’t proved himself as one of the greatest athletes and champions this world has ever seen, in 2016 Michael Jordan was also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama. All of these accomplishments cemented his legacy as one of, if not the greatest basketball player ever, both on and off the court. After his retirement in 2003, the void that he left would be filled by the young, fresh face of LeBron James who would go on to revolutionize the sport much like Jordan did before him.

LeBron James became a dominant force in the NBA and fundamentally redefined the game with his unique skill set and versatility. Like MJ, LeBron makes sure he goes into every game physically and mentally engaged. However, what sets him apart from other players, including Michael Jordan, is his above-mentioned element of extreme versatility. LeBron is able to proficiently play multiple positions and contribute to scoring, rebounding, as well as offensive and defensive plays. Overall, he is a much more aggressive player who tends to barrel through his opponents to get up the court, unlike Michael Jordan who preferred to fluidly work his way around defenders to advance the ball. Still, LeBron’s different style of play led to a career filled with accomplishments, very similar to Jordan’s. He won four NBA championships, four league MVPs, four NBA Finals MVPs, and appeared in the All-Star Game 19 times. Contrary to Jordan’s three-peats, James became the first person ever to lead 3 different franchises to a championship. On top of all of that, in 2023 LeBron James broke Kareem Abdul Jabar’s scoring record and is now the all-time scoring leader in the NBA. However, James’ successes are not limited to the basketball court, and he continues his legacy with his numerous investments and advocacy efforts. For instance, LeBron invested $1 million in Blaze Pizza in 2012 which skyrocketed the company to a national level (sportskeeda.com). He also established the “I Promise School,” which is a free public school in Akron, Ohio for less fortunate communities. The school, which provides education to over 1,400 students, was established as part of the initiatives of The LeBron James Family Foundation. The Foundation, which also provides community programs such as financial literacy, is LeBron’s continued contribution to his hometown of Akron, Ohio (southwestjournal.com). In analyzing the similarities and differences between Michael Jordan and LeBron James, it is clear that both players have had a lasting impact on basketball.

While Jordan is known for his exceptional athleticism, scoring ability, and competitiveness, James redefined the game with his versatility, basketball acumen, and philanthropic voice off the court. The similarities and differences between Jordan and James provide valuable insights into how basketball has evolved over time, and the different paths they took to achieve greatness in the sport. Their distinct playing styles, career achievements, and legacies demonstrate that there is no one-size-fits-all formula for success in the NBA, and the same applies to the debate over who the greatest basketball player of all time is. Each player has left a lasting mark on the sport in his own way. The ongoing GOAT debate proves the tremendous impact they both have had and as future generations take up basketball, the debate will only get better.