October Horror Fest – Day 21

“I’m your friend till the end! Hidey-Ho!”

Greetings, and welcome back to October Horror Fest! Today, we venture into the world of another terrifying T.V. show, and see where our favorite Good Guy is now. To get me ready for Season 3, we will look into the episode that started it all. Without further ado, sit back, relax, turn off the lights, grab some Candy and Popcorn, and let’s review…

Chucky – 1×1

After the baggage of several movies, the Child’s Play series decided to do something different. Although I’ve only covered Child’s Play 1 and 2 here, I’ll fill you all in on information that is necessary to this plot.

We start our tale in a POV shot extremely, extremely similar to the shot of Micheal Myers killing Judith in Halloween. We see a girl brushing her hair, as she turns around and gasps. We cut to the opening eyes of everyone’s favorite doll, Chucky. He is at a yard sale, and we see a boy with headphones turn around and see him. He picks him up, and Jake, our main character, buys Chucky. As Jake walks home with his newly bought doll, he listens to the true crime podcast of Devon Evans. In it, we hear about Hackensack, the town where Jack and Devon are, and how messed up it truly is. We hear about the Ray family murders, which gave birth to Charles Lee Ray. As we all know, Charles Lee Ray is who Chucky truly is.

Once Jake arrives at his house, he goes upstairs to his room, which is full of broken dolls. He is even putting together a statue using discarded doll parts. Jake’s cat begins to sniff Chucky, as his eyes dilate. In a scary and intense scene, the cat sees this, and runs. Jake is unable to decapitate Chucky to use in his statue. Chucky, right as he gets ready to end Jake, Jake’s Father comes home. Jake’s Father is pretty annoyed with Jake for getting another doll, and is very apprehensive about approving the doll statue. He wants Jake to have friends, and Jake’s father says how he is trying, but it’s hard keeping them afloat with his revenue. As Jake’s father leaves, we learn that Jake’s cousin is coming over for dinner, a fact that Jake and his dad both hate. Jake leaves, as Chucky’s eyes dart over to his cat.

As we cut to the next scene, the title card is played, featuring a rendition of the Child’s Play 2 Theme, something that made me very happy. As we go to the intense dinner between families, we meet Uncle Logan, Aunt Bree, and Jake’s cousin, Junior. They are very well off, and the intense dinner continues. Jake’s father drinks and drinks, as we see a tension between Jake and Junior. We find that Jake is gay, and Junior begins to passive aggressively bully him. The horrible dinner continues, until Jake’s father slams his glass on the floor, shattering it.

When the family leaves, we pan upstairs, and find Jake’s father with a baseball bat destroying the statue. Jake is horrified and shocked. Jake’s father says no more dolls, ever. Jake begins to cry, as we see Chucky underneath the bed. We pan under him, and see a bloody piece of fur. The next morning, we find Jake typing into his computer. He finds Good Guy dolls selling for up to 1,500 dollars, and Jake is shocked. He comes onto his bus carrying Chucky, as he begins to be laughed at. He sees Devon, and sits behind him. Right before he is about to talk to Devon, Junior sits in the seat. At school, we meet Junior’s girlfriend, Lexy. Lexy really sucks, and begins to bully Jake about his financial issues, and about Chucky, under the pretense of being kind.

We enter Jake’s science class, as Jake, nervous to see the sight of blood, is unable to dissect a frog. A boy named Oliver verbally taunts Jake as he pierces the frog, and blood comes out. Jake turns away to breathe, and we see Chucky with the scalpel in front of him. We turn around to see that Chucky has brutally mutilated the frog, the scalpel plunged into its heart. Shortly after, everyone in the class gets a notification on their phones, and they begin to laugh. Lexy smiles at Jake. We see that she has made a go fund me to help Jake and Chucky, a humiliation to the boy. Oliver then kicks Chucky, telling Jake not to forget his boy toy. 

Jake then gives Chucky to his teacher, asking her to hold it until he sells it. She then keeps Lexy in the classroom, and lectures her about how horrible of a thing she did. She tells her to take down the page, and Lexy says she won’t. She also says that her parents would sue the school if she got detention, and Jake’s teacher goes to get the principal. As Lexy is left alone in the room, Chucky disappears.

We see Jake listening to Devon’s podcast at lunch, as Devon himself sits next to him. He asks Jake to be a part of a podcast based on bullying, and Jake, taking this as an insult, walks away. Back with Lexy, we see her look around, and Chucky appears at the door. He stares at Lexy, blinking. Lexy is terrified, as Chucky inches closer. Mrs. Fairchild, the teacher, then enters the room, knocking Chucky down. Lexy, extremely scared, runs out of the classroom, saying she may have lost her phone in there. Mrs. Fairchild then locks Chucky in a cabinet. We hear Chucky breathe.

Back at Jake’s, we see him put up a listing for Chucky. Not two seconds later, he gets a message. The messenger says he is very interested, and Jake leaves his number. Not two seconds after that, he gets a call. The person calling him, although we can only hear his voice, is none other than the legend himself… Andy. Barclay. The adult Andy now asks what condition Chucky is in, and he asks if his name is Chucky. Jake is astounded, and Andy tells him to be extremely careful with that doll. Andy asks him to check Chucky’s batteries, as Andy hangs up. Jake then runs to his computer, and searches up Good Guy Doll Violence. 6 articles come up, all showcasing events from the first three Child’s Play movies. Jake clicks on “6 year old boy says Chucky did it!”, and sees a picture of Andy. Jake is shocked.

The next morning, he heads downstairs, and asks his dad if he is ok. He is clearly struggling, and is annoyed at Jake. He brings out Chucky. Jake is astounded, and says he’s working on getting rid of him. Jake then heads to his chair, and in a horrific moment, and an incredible acting one, there are no batteries in the Doll. Jake runs outside, and stuffs him into a trash can. We cut to the school’s talent show, as Devon plays piano. After the act, Lexy comes out. She starts saying hello to the crowd. She sees Jake, and tells him to say what he really thought of Devon, clearly trying to antagonize him. Before Jake is forced to say something, we hear a voice. We look behind Jake, and Chucky is sitting there. Chucky whispers to Jake, and he tells him to get him on stage, and listen to exactly what he is saying. Jake says ok, and walks up to the stage. On stage, Chucky begins to talk. Chucky begins to defend Jake, and goes against Lexy. He pulls out her phone, and begins to go through it. We find that Lexy has lots of pictures of Oliver, and that it was a secret. Strangely, he talks to Aunt Bree, and says she has a secret. Chucky then goes through Lexy’s very rough search history. Lexi runs off the stage, and Chucky and Jake are escorted out. Chucky shouts expletives at the crowd in classic Chucky fashion, as they begin to clap.

Jake returns home, and sees his father drinking. He yells at Jake about being suspended, and tells him that he used to have friends. He insults his son, and when Jake says it’s only because he is gay, he is punched by his father. He brings him against a door, and says he will kill him. Jake then says that it should’ve been him in that car instead of his mother, and grabs Chucky. He tells Jake to go to his room, as Jake yells that he hates him. Downstairs, we find that all of Jake’s father’s whiskey has been drunk. The lights then go out, and Jake’s father ventures down into the basement. Jake locks his door. In the basement, Jake’s dad tries all of the fuses, until the light behind him comes on. Standing before him is Chucky, as terrifying music plays. Chucky scowls, and vomits the whiskey on the floor. It serves as a conductor for electricity, as we see Jake’s dad’s hand still stuck to the fuse. He is being electrocuted, as Jake sees it happen. Chucky appears behind him, and gets closer every time the lights go out. Chucky yells, and we cut.

We see Jake and Chucky at the table, as police sirens roar. The detective comes in, who happens to be Devon’s mom. Detective Evans then says that Uncle Logan will take Jake that night. We learn that there was a break in, and Chucky was stolen. Jake then takes the blame for this. Unce Logan then enters, and is hugged by Jake. We see Jake’s father being rolled out in a bodybag, his eye completely burned. Logan and Jake then leave, but not before grabbing Chucky. Jake’s nose begins to bleed due to the punch from his dad, and he lies, saying it happened because he fell.

Jake enters the mansion of his cousin, as he meets Aunt Bree. She hugs him, and asks if he needs anything, to which he says no. She escorts him to his room, as Junior is extremely annoyed by the presence of his cousin. Bree, before she leaves, asks what he meant by her having a secret. Jake, not knowing either, says that he was just making a joke. Jake then holds Chucky up, and says the exact same words as Karen Barclay, begging for Chucky to talk. Chucky then slaps Jake, and he drops him. He begins to talk, and Jake is shocked. He says he really is Charles Lee Ray, as Chucky then tries to get Jake on his side. He pulls out a knife, telling Jake to talk about Lexy.

We pan back to the POV shot from the beginning, and instead of the Micheal Myers kill, the woman picks up the boy, named Charles. This is young Charles Lee Ray, and we are in Hackensack in 1965.

That was the first episode of Chucky! I really, really love this show, and I am very excited to check out season three. I recommend this to all of you! I hope you all had a great day, and I’ll see you tomorrow for more frights! Remember, everyone has their secrets…