Sam Fung’s Week 6 NFL POTW

The 49ers and Eagles lost, meaning no unbeaten teams remain in the NFL. Anyway, here is the good stuff: the top performers of Week 6, a week full of top-class defensive showcases across various match-ups.

Chiefs’ Defense
The Broncos went into Kansas City looking rejuvenated (for the most part) under Sean Payton. However, the Chief’s defense was more than ready, sacking Russell Wilson four times and intercepting him twice whilst also forcing a fumble and holding Denver to just one scoring drive in KC’s 19-8 victory.

Justin Madubuike
The Ravens’ pass rush was relentless against Tennessee, recording six sacks in their London clash. Two of them came from Justin Madubuike, who also recorded five tackles en route to the Ravens’ 24-16 victory. Shout-out to Jadeveon Clowney (he also collected two sacks) and Lamar Jackson (who passed for the Ravens’ lone touchdown and was their leading rusher on the day).

Washington’s Secondary
The Commanders went into the fortress that is Mercedes-Benz Stadium and managed to give Desmond Ridder his first home loss of the season. A major factor in Washington’s win was their secondary, which collected three interceptions (all in the second half) to secure the Commanders’ 24-16 victory and bring their record to 3-3.

Bengals’ Pass Rush
I have to say, as a Seahawks fan, I was both impressed and annoyed by how good the Bengals’ defense was at home against Seattle. The unit collected 13 QB hits on Geno Smith, four of which being sacks, and five coming from Sam Hubbard alone. Most importantly, the team delivered a crucial sack on the fourth down that sealed the Bengals’ 17-13 victory.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah
The Browns’ victory over San Francisco was certainly a team effort, but Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah stood out. The Notre Dame product posted three tackles for loss, one sack, and a pass breakup in Cleveland’s performance, winning over the 49ers 19-17.

Raheem Mostert
No Achane, no problem. Raheem Mostert is clearly flourishing in McDaniel’s offense, as proven by his 115-yard, 2-touchdown rushing performance. He also tacked on a touchdown reception as Miami marched to a 42-21 win over an abysmal Panthers team.

Jaguars Secondary
Despite the Jaguars’ dominant 37-20 smacking of the Colts, no one individually stood out that much, so I may as well do what I did with Washington: highlight a 3-interception performance from the secondary. One cut short a Colts’ drive that went deep into their territory. Another one led straight to a touchdown.

Byron Murphy
Another defensive POTW? Shocker. This week featured low scores across the board. In this instance, the Vikings won 19-13 in Chicago, thanks in part to a lock-down session by Byron Murphy. The former Cardinal broke up three passes and picked off another in the fourth quarter to shut down the Bears’ final drive.

Dalton Schultz
The Texans eked out victory at home against the Saints, 20-13. Dalton Schultz was a huge contributor with 4 catches, 61 yards, and the touchdown that opened the scoring. Shout-out to the defense for holding New Orleans scoreless on their final three drives.

Tre’von Moehrig
The Raiders’ defense held off the Patriots’ late surge in their 21-17 win, sealed by a sack in the Patriots’ own end zone for a safety. It only showed how crucial TreVon Moehrig’s first-half interception was, as it cut short a Patriots drive that had nearly landed New England inside the Raiders’ 20.

Jared Goff
Now I get to shout out the QB that helped me get my first win in fantasy football. Jared Goff passed for 353 yards and two touchdowns, which made all the difference in the Lions’ 20-6 win over the Buccaneers. Detroit is off to their best start since 2011 (they started 5-1).

Tony Adams
This safety has turned into a blossoming star for the New York Jets. Tony Adams recorded seven tackles, a pass breakup, and most crucially, a fourth-quarter interception which he returned inside the Eagles’ 10-yard line. It was immediately followed by the winning touchdown from Breece Hall.

Josh Allen
It was looking like another typical Josh Allen disaster class, as the Giants had a 6-0 third quarter that could have been more had they properly managed the clock. It came back to bite them, as Josh Allen turned it on in the fourth quarter and threw for two touchdowns, and with the defense’s help, the Bills won 14-9.

Dak Prescott
Some expected Dak Prescott to perform poorly after a mistake-riddled performance against San Francisco. However, he came back strong, throwing for 272 yards and a touchdown, and rushing for 40 yards and a touchdown. He lead Dallas to a crucial win on the road in California against the LA Chargers.