Sam Fung’s NFL POTW Week 5

The 2023-24 NFL season is slowly beginning to take shape. Some divisions are looking extra competitive (such as the AFC South especially). We’ll find out who will come out on top in just a few months, but for now, here are the top performers of Week 5. 

Fields & Moore

I can remember commending the Bears for getting DJ Moore in the trade that saw them ditch the number one overall pick. Games like the one in Washington, D.C. on Thursday Night Football are exactly why I did so. Justin Fields followed a mostly-stellar Week 4 performance with even more elite football, passing for 282 yards and 4 touchdowns. Moore had 8 catches for 230 yards and 3 touchdowns. The Fields-Moore connection helped the Bears overpower the Commanders on their way to victory number one on the season.

Travis Etienne

Travis Etienne was a POTW in Week 1, when he powered the Jaguars to victory in Indianapolis. In London, against a Buffalo Bills team that was coming off a demolition of the Dolphins, Etienne popped off again for 136 yards and two fourth-quarter touchdowns that stretched leads that the Bills found to be insurmountable.

Jared Goff

Jared Goff has been impressive all year, but this certainly was his best outing. Goff passed for 236 yards and 3 touchdowns, plus ran for another himself. He led Detroit to a 42-24 victory at home over the Panthers and improved their record to 4-1, a score even some Lions fans probably did not expect from their team.

Desmond Ridder

Desmond Ridder drew massive criticism for his performance in London in Week 4. He silenced the critics one week later, passing for 329 yards and a touchdown while rushing for another touchdown in the Falcons’ crucial win over a resurgent Texans team that once again saw an interception-free game from rookie phenom CJ Stroud.

Zack Moss

It is nice to see Jonathan Taylor back on the field, but even better to see he has a top notch backup. Zack Moss proved why he was Taylor’s fill-in to start the season, collecting 165 yards rushing and receiving and a pair of touchdowns. The Colts rode Moss’s performance to hold off Tennessee 23-16 and improve to 3-2.

De’Von Achane

It was just a few weeks ago that De’Von Achane was considered a backup. He is now on a tear. His performance against the Giants (rushing for 151 yards and a touchdown on 11 carries) was his third game in a row with over 100 yards rushing, which probably means he will be the lead back going forward.

The Saints’ Defense

Any team that shuts out their opponent will get a shout-out, hence why you see the Saints’ defense here, after they held New England scoreless in a 34-0 win. Tyrann Mathieu had a pick-six, the secondary as a unit held the Pats to 110 total yards passing, and the run defense held the Patriots to just 45 rushing yards (including 3 tackles for loss by Carl Granderson). Shout-out to Derek Carr and Alvin Kamara for solid individual outings on offense as well.

George Pickens

The Pickett-Pickens connection was hyped up following the 2022 NFL Draft, and the hype has continued to build for good reason. Pickens caught 6 passes for 130 yards against the Ravens, including the game-winning touchdown as the Steelers assured their place in the battle for the AFC North crown.

Ja’Marr Chase

He said it himself. He’s always open. Ja’Marr Chase came alive in Arizona, going for 15 catches, 192 yards, and 3 touchdowns. The Bengals had their best offensive performance of the season thanks in large part to Chase’s historic game.

Dallas Goedert

Dallas Goedert entered Week 5 with just 88 yards receiving in four games. After the Eagles completed their victory over the Rams on the road, Goedert doubled his total. He had a 117-yard game that included the opening touchdown of the game.

Breece Hall

From Weeks 2-4, Breece Hall was quiet, and in those three games, failed to match the 127 yards he put up against Buffalo in Week 1. Against Denver, that all changed. Breece Hall broke a 72-yard touchdown and rushed for 177 yards total as the Jets finally won their second game of the season, a hard-fought victory against the Broncos.

Trent McDuffie

It is rare to see a cornerback become a massive pass rush threat during a game whilst also locking down his man. Trent McDuffie did that. He got 3 QB hits on Kirk Cousins and also broke up three passes, and helped the defense hold off Minnesota and improve the Chiefs to a solid 4-1 record.

Brock Purdy

Brock Purdy entered the 49ers-Cowboys game with five touchdown passes to his name. In just three quarters, he passed for 252 yards and four touchdowns against a formidable Cowboys defense. Dallas gave up just 41 points in four games entering Week 5, thanks in large part to Purdy’s best performance of his career. Dallas’ points allowed more than doubled.

Robert Spillane

It was a tight defensive battle between the Packers and Raiders on Monday night, but the Raiders came out on top. This was thanks to a brilliant individual showcase by Robert Spillane, who picked off Jordan Love twice and recorded nine tackles. Shout-out to Amik Robertson and the Raiders’ secondary for shutting down Green Bay as well.