Sam Fung’s NFL Week 2 POTW

Week 2 has come and gone, and the season is continuing on its path to be one filled with thrills and star performers. Here are the top performers of the week for Week 2.

D’Andre Swift

On Thursday, the Eagles seemingly got back into character, showing off a dominant rushing attack and scoring three touchdowns on the ground. Two came from the signature Jalen Hurts QB sneak. The other came from D’Andre Swift, who looked amazing, rushing for 175 yards and pushing the Eagles to victory over the turnover-prone Vikings. Shoutout to DeVonta Smith for his 4-catch, 131-yard showing as well. 

Bijan Robinson

He may not have scored, but Bijan Robinson flashed glimpses of his potential. With 124 yards rushing and 48 yards receiving, Robinson made several crucial plays that spurred the Falcons to a comeback victory over a seemingly rejuvenated Green Bay Packers team.

Geno Stone

The Ravens’ performance against Cincinnati as a unit was competent overall, with typical dominance on the ground from Lamar Jackson and co. Geno Stone wound up making the most crucial play of the game, intercepting Joe Burrow in the red zone.

Ryan Tannehill

Now is the part where I commend Ryan Tannehill for cleaning up his game and rebounding with a solid performance in Week 2. He completed 20/24 passes for 246 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions, and he scored one himself on the ground and led the Titans on a rally from 11 points down to beat the faltering Chargers in overtime.

Mike Evans

Baker Mayfield once again showed his best form, throwing for a touchdown and no interceptions, but Mike Evans’ performance certainly helped. After putting up 66 yards in Week 1, Evans went off in Week 2, collecting 171 yards receiving on six catches and catching a crucial touchdown pass in the third quarter.

Josh Allen

If I had to award comeback player of the week, I would give it to Josh Allen. These last two weeks definitely summarize Allen’s tendencies. After 3 interceptions last week, Allen passed for 3 touchdowns in a dominant Bills victory over the Raiders.

Tyler Lockett

The Seahawks’ second-half performance last week was absolutely abysmal. This time around, it could not have been better. Although Geno Smith deserves props, Tyler Lockett deserves even more. Lockett’s clutch factor proved crucial once again, as most of his eight receptions converted crucial first downs. Two of them went for touchdowns, including the game-winner in overtime.

Chris Jones

Chris Jones came back on the field for the first time since the end of his holdout and played as though he never left the field. 1.5 sacks and a pass deflection is a decent stat line for a lineman on paper, but he was overall menacing on tape, as per usual.

Colts Pass Rush

The Colts’ pass rush in Week 1 did not do enough to silence Trevor Lawrence. This week, they played lights out. The team recorded six sacks from six different pass rushers. This included a strip sack by Samson Ebukam that led to one of the Colts’ touchdowns.

Deebo Samuel

Deebo Samuel made the biggest play of the 49ers’ game against the Rams. His 4th-quarter rushing touchdown, plus 63 yards receiving, helped Kyle Shanahan’s offense keep the game out of reach, securing a 2-0 start in the process.

Daniel Jones

I was ready to put Josh Dobbs here, until the Giants mounted the legendary comeback in Arizona. Leader of the comeback was Daniel Jones, who looked like his old self again, passing for 321 yards and two touchdowns and rushing for a touchdown himself. Most importantly, he led the game-winning drive that helped the Giants secure a famous victory in Arizona (which is not the first time they’ve done that).

Sam Howell

As a Russell Wilson fan, I was satisfied with the Broncos’ performance on offense. But, I was more impressed with Sam Howell. Howell passed for 299 yards and 2 touchdowns and led the Commanders on an 18-point comeback before Washington eked out a victory by stopping a final-play 2-point conversion attempt.

Micah Parsons

The Cowboys were dominant against the Jets, forcing multiple turnovers. Micah Parsons was an absolute standout. Parsons recorded two sacks, three tackles for loss, and a fumble recovery. Shoutout to the Dallas secondary as well for collecting three interceptions.

Raheem Mostert

It was always going to be difficult for Tua Tagovailoa to match his Week 1 output. He didn’t, but Raheem Mostert made up for Tua by rushing for 121 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries to help Miami beat New England, pushing the Dolphins to 2-0 in the process.

Saints’ Backup Runners

Jamaal Williams’ injury is the sort of obstacle you would expect to hamper New Orleans, who are already thin on running backs. However, they can have solace in the performances of Taysom Hill and Tony Jones. Jones rushed for both of the Saints’ touchdowns against Carolina, whilst Hill picked up the game-clinching first down in the final two minutes.

Steel Curtain: Reborn

The Steelers have been renowned for possessing some of the all-time greatest defensive players and units in NFL history. This defense is definitely up amongst the best. Last Monday, they recorded six sacks, forced three fumbles, and scored two touchdowns, one which came on the very first play from scrimmage (an Alex Highsmith pick six). One came in the fourth quarter from T.J. Watt, who became the Steelers’ all-time franchise sack leader.