Patriot Football Wins Against Red Bank Regional, Evens Record

Vanessa Pacheco

Last Friday, the Patriots took home a 28-13 win over the Red Bank Regional Buccaneers. The win evens their record to 1-1, and they look to carry their winning momentum onto the road when they take on the 0-2 Matawan Regional Huskies this Friday.

With the home crowd sporting their finest “USA” attires, the Patriots came out of the gates with an efficient offense that put the ball in Regional’s end zone with ease, especially by running the football. Star running back Sebastian Andujar and second-year starting quarterback Nick Cardone combined for nearly 200 rushing yards alone, and Nick Whisten carried the ball 10 times for 23 yards. The passing attack was also exceptionally effective. Cardone threw two touchdown passes to wide receivers Nick Carnevale and Jaylen Gill-Anderson, and fellow Township wide receiver GianPaul Cortes racked up 158 yards on four receptions.

Perhaps most important to mention is the defense, which regrouped and put on a stellar performance after allowing 41 points in their week one loss to Middletown North. The Patriots defense only allowed 13 points, with Iziah Young and Nick Manfre each recording a tackle for loss. Additionally, Carnevale and Cortes each tallied an interception, and Cortes also added a blocked kick to stat line. It was a stellar Friday night for these senior wide receivers and cornerbacks.

What was an overall team win in front of a lively home crowd was a memorable way to go onto the road seeking win number two of the season. This win also showed a glimpse of the full potential that this year’s team has, both on the offensive and defensive side of the football. We wish the Patriots the best of luck as they hit the road this Friday. Great win, boys!