Club Spotlight: Lead for Diversity

Sofia Colorado, Staff Writer

Lead for Diversity was created in 1995, by the American Conference on Diversity, and is active here, at Freehold Township High School. It has long been a club where you had to be invited and interviewed to be a part of it. But, this year it is open for all students to join and participate in. Not only is LFD a great club for students to meet new people, but it is a great way to improve your own community.

Lead for Diversity Executive Board members advertising the open club at this year’s activities fair.

The club’s main focus is to make not only Freehold Township High School more inclusive and welcoming, but also the entire community. The club brings attention to all groups of people and is meant to help bring attention to often overlooked groups. By including people of different backgrounds, religions, and ethnicities, the club demonstrates the importance of both a diverse and accepting community. 

The club is in charge of the bulletin boards near the cafeteria, as well as the picture frames outside the cafeteria. Currently, if you were to look at the bulletin board, it was decorated for Thanksgiving and features the different things that members of FTHS are thankful for. The picture frames currently feature pictures of both male celebrities and teachers, focused on mental health, as well as discussing the different ways that people celebrate New Year around the world. By showcasing different holidays and people at FTHS, the Lead for Diversity Club is able to include everyone. But, in order to do this work, it is necessary to have students help out. Just last meeting, students created snowflakes out of printed paper and wrote ways they celebrate the holidays, in order to show the diversity within our own school. It is fun activities like these, that allow students to have fun while learning more about each other. 

Lead for Diversity Board members attending “A Conversation with Dr. Bernice King” at Monmouth University.

Being a board member myself, I have seen firsthand the impact that the club has been able to far, including but not limited to our own school district. Board members include me, Cheyenne Ballister, Camryn Barton, Dominick Cardace, Taryn Conover, Tyler Douglas, Olatomi Gabriel, Leona Gagalac, Fiona Krkuti, Emily Landolfi, Evan Richelson, Tristin Tobenkin, and Talia Torrens. For those interested in being part of the board, the selection process is by recommendation by any of the board members or teachers during sophomore year. After the selection, there are interviews that decide whether or not you are part of the board. Being part of the board involved much dedication and ingenuity for activities or presentations that the club does. Do not be afraid to reach out, or ask questions to any of the board members if you have questions about the club in general or even if you would like more information about the board!

If you are interested in making your school a more inclusive and diverse place, make sure to check out the Lead for Diversity club, which usually meets every first Thursday of the month, or even check your google classroom for the classroom code.