Dancing the Night Away at Homecoming!

Kimberly Vasta, Staff Writer

On Thursday October 20, the students of Freehold Township High school went from country and country club members by day to getting on their finest clothing at night and coming to the Homecoming dance! Starting at 6:30pm, students from various grade levels started filing into the cafeteria, ready for a great time. In fact, the sophomores actually had the biggest turnout! This night was extra special because it was the first Homecoming dance Township has had in 3 years because of COVID-19. With this dance making an epic comeback, high school really started to feel normal for the seniors, juniors, and sophomores who missed out on so much these last few years. 

First, there is no doubt that one of the most popular attractions was the photo booth. Groups of friends gathered together, ready to capture the moment. Four pictures were taken per turn, and they were able to be texted directly to all participants. It seemed as if everyone took a turn at the booth, considering the line was halfway across the cafeteria. 

Though the photo booth was popular, the dance floor was even more crowded. So many students were on the dance floor that it was even difficult to walk through. Everyone was hyping each other up, and even some iconic dances were done, such as the Cotton Eyed Joe and the Wobble. It was incredible to see everyone step out of their comfort zones and dance their hearts out. Additionally, the Homecoming court was announced initially here by Mr. Leahy. Congratulations to…

Freshmen: Shannon Lynch and Nate Raguseo

Sophomores: Chloe Richards and Nick Cardone

Juniors: Taryn Conover and Nick Carnevale 

Seniors: Camryn Bartone, Fiona Krkruti, Logan Feldman, Olivia Kurtz, Julia Avivi, Kevin Kuriakose, Jeremy Carr, Tim Bertscha, James Wortman and Jake Nastarowicz. 

Once the dancing got too tiring, people could purchase snacks and water at the tables, or at the vending machines. Within the cafeteria, there were various tables set up, with blue tablecloths and centerpieces made of balloons and ribbon. 

Inside the cafeteria was beautiful, but outside was also decorated in such a majestic way. When needing a breath of fresh air, the courtyard was the place to go. Lined with beautiful lights, it was an amazing sight (especially to take even more photos!) Christina Kerris, junior student officer, was one of the few people who stayed after school in order to put this all together. She says that “We set up lights, balloons and other decorations.” A huge thank you to the junior and senior officers who put a lot of time and dedication into making this night unforgettable!

The whole night was full of dancing, laughs, picture-taking and pure happiness. The turnout was great, and the music was fantastic. The dance ended with the iconic song, “Baby” by Justin Bieber (so of course it was an amazing night). Once again, Christina says, “The dance went really well and [the junior officers] were all really happy with how big of a turnout there was. So many people came and everyone enjoyed themselves. The DJ and Photo Booth were great additions to the night. It was definitely a success!” 

Around 9pm, everyone began to call their rides and head home, still hyped for the Homecoming game the next day. Needless to say, Township’s first Homecoming dance back went perfectly!