Emma Zawatski

Max Butkovic, Staff Writer

Following her being named FTHS February Athlete of the Month, the Patriot Press sat down with sophomore track superstar Emma Zawatski!

________________________________________________________________________________

What do you like best about track?

– Hanging out with teammates after school every day and moving my body in a healthy way.

What is one of your most memorable moments running track?

– Last year, at the end of spring, I went to nationals in Oregon two days after the Olympic trial. We were there the last day to meet many of the professional athletes I idolized.

Who was your professional inspiration to start running?

– Emma Coburn. We have a lot in common, like our name. She’s an amazing athlete and does a lot for the world community. I want to be just like her. Also, Allyson Felix has overcome a lot to get where she is.

What do you like to do in the offseason?

– Try to refrain from using my legs because there is almost no offseason. I do weightlifting but not running.

Do you have any pre-meet rituals or superstitions?

– Before every race, I always have a drink mix the night before and, in my head, it helps.

What is your favorite school subject and why?

– Math is the most fun and love my teacher and classmates in that class. Math is fun when you understand it.

What is your favorite type of music and who is your favorite musician?

– I love and only listen to Disney music. I get teased for it but I still love it.

Do you have a favorite hobby outside of track?

– Lifting weights. It’s fun to do with my friends and my trainer.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

– Arizona. I love the heat and the sun. I lived there when I was three and my parents loved it when we were there.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Here are some of Emma’s February accomplishments:

• Central Jersey Group 4 Champion – 1600 Meter Dash
  • Central Jersey Group 4 Runner-Up – 800 Meter Dash
  • Group 4 Runner-Up – 1600 Meter Dash & 800 Meter Dash
  • 1600 Meter Dash time is now 2nd all-time in school history and a top 20 time nationally

Here’s what Coach Briggs had to say about Emma:

“Emma carried her relay teams to two top 10 nationally ranked times and indoor national berths. The team finished 6th at the Group 4 Championship with Emma personally outscoring every other team present but the Top 5.”