Alicia Klotz

Emily Landolfi, Staff Writer

Alicia Klotz is a pole vaulting sensation at Freehold Township High School and has been appropriately honored as January Student-Athlete of the Month. I had the pleasure of sitting down with and interviewing her about her position, inspirations, and future plans. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What position do you play?

– I’m a pole vaulter so track and field. 

Why do you like that position and what is the most challenging aspect of playing that position?

– I like it because I’m an ex-gymnast so going upside down is fun. I’m also very competitive with myself so it has its goods and bads, but it’s a head game so you can have a bad day one meet but the next you can PR and do really good. It’s really back and forth with your own self. 

What do you like best about your sport?

– I like that it’s between myself and I like that I’m not going against someone else. I am, but it’s really not for anyone else because I’m doing it for myself.

What is one of your most memorable moments playing your sport?

– I think it was when I cleared 9 for the first time because it was a big jump from when I first started to get really good. 

Would that be your favorite memory or game while playing for Township?

– I mean this year I also won Monmouth County so that’s pretty exciting!

Who was your personal and professional inspiration to start playing your sport? 

– Personally, it was probably my Coach Zummo because she stuck with me even when I was not good at all. She had faith in me and pushed me to be my best. The girl who won gold for pole vaulting, Katie Nageotte, is very inspiring because she started off pretty much where I am. She works hard every day to make sure that she’s better. 

What do you like to do in the offseason? 

– I honestly just like to concentrate and spend time with my family and friends. When I’m in season, I go from school to sports, and at the end of the day I have homework and then I get tired. I don’t really have time to be with other people so when I do, I like to just run a little bit, get stronger, and spend as much time with the people I can. 

Would you say that it’s difficult to manage your time well with sports, a social life, etc.? 

– In the beginning, it was but now I’m used to it just because I’ve been doing it since freshman year and I now have a scheduled routine. 

What is something interesting that people don’t know about you?

– I broke my arm twice when I was a gymnast. I’ve always struggled because gymnastics was my first love and being told that I’m not allowed to go back to that, I had a hard time finding a sport I liked just as much until I started training for vaulting. 

Do you have any pregame rituals or superstitions?

– I always have to listen to music on the bus. I can’t not do it. I also always eat cereal. I have to have cereal or else I can’t go to the meet. 

What is your favorite music and cereal?

– For cereal, I always have mini wheats. For music, my sister has a throwback playlist that I always listen to because it’s relaxing since I know it and it’s not sad or anything.

Do you have a favorite hobby outside of your sport? 

– I like babysitting and just volunteering. I volunteer at the Open Door so I make food and donate it. During the summer, I volunteer a lot because I like to give back as much as I can.

What is your favorite school subject and why?

– I like math. I don’t know why. Everyone makes fun of me but it just comes easy to me because if it’s just numbers, I know how to do it. You have set answers so, on the flip side, I hate English.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

– Wyoming. It’s so disconnected from everything, you are so free, and there is so much to see. You can stay connected and see people when you want but you’re not forced to be around people constantly. I just feel like it’s more independent and there is more to do. 

Have you been there a lot? 

– A few times but just once that I can remember because we have horses out there. We go when we can! 

Do you ride horses? 

– I do ride out there, but I don’t really here because it’s so different. 

Last question. Are you planning on doing your sport in college or in your career?

– As of now, I’m talking to a few schools. I’m trying to make my decision now because I’m a senior. I am stuck between three D-1 schools so now it’s a matter of seeing what other heights I can get in my winter season for more scholarship money or just placement on the team. 

Here are some of Alicia’s accomplishments from January:

• Monmouth County Champion (1st in school history)
  • 3rd Place at Shore Conference Championships

Here’s what Coach Herbert had to say about Alicia:

“Alicia helps and encourages other athletes in her event area both at practices and at meets. She positively represents not only our track and field and pole vault programs, but our entire school.”