Summer School: An Opportunity to Further Your Education

Lauren Lavelle, Editor-in-Chief

Everyone has the same vision of summer school. It’s supposed to be a hot, sticky prison where degenerate students spend their days wishing they were at the beach instead of listening to a geometry lesson. Through TV and movies, students have a developed an incredibly skewed view of what getting a summer school education truly entails. It is no longer a place for throwing paper airplanes and dying of boredom, it is a place for students to further their education.

Along with credit recovery classes for students who have failed a required course, the FRHSD Summer Academy now offers programs for students who wish to continue their education into the summer months. Students now have the chance to perfect their skills and become accustomed to more difficult forms of learning in order to prepare for the upcoming year.

The Original Credit program gives students the opportunity to advance in mathematics. From July 6 to August 12, courses such as Algebra I, Financial Literacy, and Pre- Calculus will be offered to students wishing to improve their math skills. While frequent tests and quizzes will be given and credits will be earned, these courses will not affect the students’ GPA’s.

The AP Bridge program provides students who are entering an AP course with the necessary tools and experience to truly strive within the upcoming school year. From July 20-24, experienced AP teachers will help first-year AP students become acquainted with the tough, new curriculum by teaching them academic skills, test-taking strategies, and note taking tips. Small class sizes and beneficial student-teacher interactions will ensure students they are ready for their advanced classes.

The common misconceptions about summer school are soon to become extinct because it is no longer simply for students who have failed classes. It is now for students who wish to expand their minds and learn more than they ever have before. Sign up for classes today!