Fashion Trend Fridays: Moccasins

Moccasins are love; moccasins are life.

Fashion Trend Fridays: Moccasins

Noah Gomes, Columnist

A traditional slipper made from the pelt of a dead sheep, none other than a moccasin.

Moccasins are a fleek form of footwear which can be–and are– worn by all genders. These slippers date back to a much simpler time, back when the buffalo roamed and the common cold was a deadly disease [for those of you who failed history or threw away all that information, I’m referencing native America (which is America before settlers destroyed and capitalized on the land)]. Native Americans would use moccasins as their everyday footwear and somehow through time they are still worn.

Back then, they were made from sheep pelt, but in ‘wonderful’ modern times the cheaper ones are typically made with synthetic materials because ‘merica, and the more expensive ones are still made with ‘real’ sheep wool (which was probably sheared from a poorly treated animal, but we’ll save my animal activist rant for another time).

Enough with the history lesson though. These slippers seem to be a staple in casual everyday fashion during the year but are more prominent during the cold times (otherwise known as “winter”). They are usually quick to slip on and off, making them convenient after changing in gym since there is nothing to tie or strap or whatever the case may be, so you can just slip out of the locker room quickly. They also go 0-to -real quick when it comes to being comfortable.

Even though these slippers are comfortable, they still can help pull an outfit together. Since they come in neutral tones from brown to tan to black, they can coordinate with most outfits. They also can go with both the lazy-school-look and the kinda-trying-to-look-decent-for-school look.

I started wearing my pair in the beginning of winter and they became disgusting and fell apart and were wet all the time for some reason, and rocks always got into them because the bottoms were ripped open, but they were still comfortable, and according to my friends (who lied to me to not hurt the feelings I don’t have), they still looked fine. So if you ever see me in my moccasins, don’t use them as an example because they seriously need to be thrown away.

And since my opinion is better than everyone else’s, the only quote I’m using in this article is from me (Noah Gomes, Sophomore, Single, Likes long walks on the beach) which states “They’re great.” Was that in reference to moccasins? Maybe, but we know that it can apply to them since there is no context behind it. In all seriousness though I love moccasins.

Moccasins are love; moccasins are life.