An Incredible 2021 Gymnastics Season

Max Druckman, Editor

Undefeated. Unparalleled. Unmatched. However you want to describe it, the 2021 FTHS gymnastics team has been truly special. With an incredible 14-0 record, the Pats easily won a fifth straight A-North Division title. The streak is among the most dominant in all of New Jersey high school sports. In the state sectionals, the Patriots were the winning team for the third year in a row, taking the 2021 crown with an astounding score of 111.4. At the Shore Conference meet, the Patriots placed second overall, behind Saint John Vianney, and first among public schools with an incredible tally of 109.825. At the state meet, the Pats finished second overall to East Brunswick with an incredible score of 110.175. The successful season comes as no surprise to Coach Montgomery and opposition teams, as the Pats had been overall state champions in 2017, 2018, and 2019.

The backbone of the Patriots’ outstanding run has been star senior Jenelle Cloud. Cloud was the Shore Conference all-around champion and placed first on bars and second on beam. At the sectional championships, she was the all-around champion, came third in vault, placed second on floor, and won bars. Simply put, Cloud was outstanding this season and has been among the best gymnasts in the state. She also won FTHS’ October Athlete of the Month honor. Another standout has been Emily Rogers. At sectionals, Rogers came third in all-around, fifth in vault, fourth in bars, third in beam, and fifth on floor. Rogers too had a fabulous season and will look to do even better as a senior in 2022. Other stars included senior Cayla Amin and junior Louanne Legregin. At the novice meet, Amber French placed first on bars and second on vault, Addison Koziol came first in beam, and Lauren Ulon placed third on floor. Clearly, the season’s success has been a team effort and the future of FTHS gymnastics is even brighter considering the astounding achievements of the underclassmen this season.

The 2021 season, as typical of FTHS gymnastics, has been utterly spectacular. An undefeated season and brilliant performances at the major meets mark a continuation of an era of dominance. The gymnastics team has been the pride of FTHS for years no and this year was no different. Hopefully, the winning formula continues to work for a long time to come. Congrats again, Patriots!