FTHS Alum Brad Brach Signs with the Kansas City Royals

Max Druckman, Editor

Freehold Township High School will officially be represented during Major League Baseball’s 2021 season! FTHS alum Brad Brach has signed a minor-league contract with an invitation to Spring Training with the Kansas City Royals. Brach is a ten-year MLB veteran who has previously played for the San Diego Padres, Baltimore Orioles, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Cubs, and New York Mets. He was originally drafted by the Padres in the 42nd round of the 2008 draft out of Monmouth University. The 34-year-old right-handed relief pitcher has compiled 496 relief appearances to go along with an impressive 3.39 earned run average across his distinguished career. Additionally, Brach made the 2016 MLB All-Star Game while pitching for the Orioles. 

Brach spent the shortened 2020 season with the New York Mets, where he pitched in 14 games and had a 5.84 earned run average. He was recently released by the Mets in order to make space on the 40-man roster for new signing Jonathan Villar. Brach joins a Kansas City ballclub that finished fourth in the American League Central division in 2020. The Royals are looking to rebound this year after having made some big-name additions in the forms of Andrew Benintendi and Carlos Santana this past offseason. The Royals hope that Brach can offer a reliable, veteran presence out of the bullpen. FTHS wishes Brad the best of luck this season!