The Best of Netflix Bingewatching

Hailey Ruderman, Staff Writer

Television shows: You either love them or you hate them. If you love to watch shows, then you’ll love Netflix.

Netflix is a subscription service that lets you binge watch show after show or movie after movie, whenever you want. Some people watch a television series in a week; some people watch a show in a couple of months. If you are stuck trying to find a good show to watch on Netflix, here are some suggestions.

netflix-house-of-cardsThe Netflix original series, House of Cards is about a U.S. Representative named Francis Underwood, who starts out as politician trying to seek revenge. After a man, Garrett Walker, withdraws from his upcoming presidential election, Underwood and his wife join together to take down Walker and his associates.

Sophomore Matthew Bernstein says “[House of Cards] has a lot of plot twists and it always keeps you on the edge of your seat.”

House of Cards would be the perfect show to binge watch for anyone who is interested in politics and mystery.

Another series, Once Upon a Time, is still airing on TV right now. Once Upon a Time is a show that takes fairytales and puts a onceuponatime_sdcc_poster_fullmodern twist on them. For example, they take the wonderful Disney movie, Frozen, and add their own mysterious spin to the movie plot.

“[Once Upon A Time] pulls you in and it leads you on and you always want to keep watching,” says sophomore Alexandra Adler.

Once Upon A Time would be the perfect show to binge watch for someone who loves fairytales and shows with some drama.

TheCarrieDiaries-1The series The Carrie Diaries, shows the life of Carrie Bradshaw before the famous show Sex and the City. Carrie Bradshaw, a normal high school student, tries to pursue her dreams of working for a famous fashion magazine. The show includes all of Carrie’s life struggles including losing her mother, boy problems, school problems, and everything a teenage girl could whine about.

Sophomore Mackenzie Kean states, “I watched only a few episodes of the ‘Carrie Diaries’ series, but I really love it because number one, I love Anna Sophia Robb and two, I feel like even though it is set in the 80’s, it is still a very relatable to teen girls and boys in any time period. School, cliques, and every other challenge of growing up doesn’t change just because the calendar does.”

This show is the perfect show to watch if you are in need of a relatable, yet romantic and comedic show with a little bit of drama.

210px-Original_five_of_One_Tree_HillIn One Tree Hill, a normal high school teenager, Lucas Scott, finds out he has a half-brother in the same grade named Nathan Scott. Lucas is the boy in high school that no one really pays attention to, except his best friend Haley James. Nathan is the most popular boy in school because he is following his father’s footsteps in becoming a great varsity basketball player. Throughout the nine seasons of the show, you see the relationship of Lucas and Nathan blossom as they struggle to remain on the same basketball team, while also trying to deal with school and all of their friends/girlfriends. In this series, you also get to meet Brooke Davis and Peyton Sawyer who are two best friends who become great friends with Nathan, Lucas and Haley and they all try and get through high school together.

“The best things about One Tree Hill would have to be the dramatic relationships and how everyone pretty much dates everyone else throughout their little circle. I also love to watch the family problems and all the hatred then the love they all have for each other,” says sophomore Nicole Mella.

This show is awesome for someone who wants to watch a show that has a lot of dramatic scenes and wants to watch a show for a long period of time and not finish a show in a week.

If you are interested in a scary, yet addicting show, you should watch American Horror Story. Each season has a new story American-Horror-Story-Titleplot with the same actors and actresses, including Evan Peters and Jessica Lange.

In season one titled Murder House, a family of three moves into a house that just happens to be haunted with ghosts that have been killed in it. The first season shows the relationship between Violet, the daughter of the family, and Tate, a ghost in the house and the rest of her family and the ghosts in the house.

Season two is called Asylum and it’s based in a Christian mental institution. It follows Kit Walker and a bunch of other patients, and explains why they are there and what happens when they escape.

In season three, Coven, Zoe is a newly found witch who goes to a witch’s academy and falls in love with Kyle, a frat boy, who ends up dying in a bus accident. You see the struggle Zoe has with finding out her new identity and everyone else’s struggle with their daily lives.

In season 4 called Freak Show, there is a camp of people with body deformations and they try to make a living showing themselves off to the world. There is then a clown who ends up becoming a serial killer and tries to kill the camp of freaks.

Sophomore Samantha Pennisi states, “I love how there are different stories so you are able to see that the cast that is hired can really do anything. The stories within all the seasons are always great too.”

This show is great for someone who loves watching suspenseful and dramatic shows.

gilmore-girls-mainThe fantastic show Gilmore Girls, follows the lives of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore and the rest of the small town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut. This show includes the struggles Lorelai has to face as a single mother who had Rory has a teenager, and the struggles Rory has trying to be a good student while also trying to find her way in the world.

Sophomore Grace Jicha says, “I loved watching the connection between Rory and Lorelai and I also loved how great the plot was.”

Gilmore Girls is an excellent show to watch if you love watching comedic yet somewhat dramatic and romantic shows.

How I Met Your Mother is a hilarious and uplifting show that anyone would love. In the beginning of the show, Ted is seen tumblr_static_hiiitalking with his children about the life he had while trying to find the love of his life, also known as his children’s mother. Throughout the nine seasons of the show, Ted narrates everything as you go into his past and meet his best friends and go through their lives with them.

“Overall it was a great plot,” says sophomore Mike Pirrotta.

“There was lots of humor and it always made me laugh,” states Jason Novak also a sophomore.

This show is good to watch if you are in need of laughing and making your day a little better.

There are shows on Netflix for everyone out there; you just have the find the right one for you. All of these shows are great shows to binge watch because they all keep you on the edge of your seat and you never want to stop watching them.