FTHS Wins 3rd At A Design Challenge At TSA Leadership Conference

Benjamin Schornstein, Staff Writer

Last Tuesday, November 20th, the current board members of TSA, or Technology Student Association, went to the annual Leadership Conference at TCNJ. At the conference, TSA officers around New Jersey met to build leadership skills and to encourage students to “learn to lead a technological world”.

During the conference, TSA officers from across the state had to compete with their school in a design challenge. Last year, FTHS came in third place creating a slide to transport a toy from one area to another, and had high hopes for this year as well. The design challenge was to create an air filter to capture as much glitter as possible falling through a system while letting at least 50% of air through. The FTHS TSA officers created three designs to be tested, including one using cotton balls to capture the filter or another design with a packet for the gilter to fall through. In the best design, FTHS captured approximately a 1.2 oz of glitter falling into the system and prevented it from going outside. This, in turn, won FTHS 3rd place yet again at the design challenge, ranking above schools like High Tech and Biotech.

Currently, the officers include Jessica Kaiser, Chris Buono, Olivia Liberman, Ben Schornstein, Dan Cilone, and Fletcher Rainey. At FTHS, our TSA chapter meets once every two weeks go work on projects of your choice relating to technology, such as video game design, coding, music production, and many more. In April, we go to the State Conference and compete to go to Nationals later in the year. If you are interested in joining, contact Mr. Jennings or any of the officers for more information.