Congressman Chris Smith visits FTHS

Anna Kaganova, Staff Writer

New Jersey Representative Chris Smith recently paid a visit to Freehold Township High School, where he spoke to students from the International Baccalaureate Program and the Global Studies Learning Center.

The Representative explained how he became politically involved by working with the pro-life movement in his community and later interning for a political candidate. Furthermore, he discussed his legislative efforts to establish stricter gun laws and eliminate human trafficking. Rep. Smith also spoke about his attempts to uphold human rights and child safety internationally, mentioning his work with the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, where state representatives exchange innovative legislation with their foreign colleagues. At the end of the meeting, FTHS students got a chance to ask the Representative a few questions.

Chris Smith was elected as the U.S. Representative for New Jersey’s 4th congressional district (for Monmouth, Mercer, and Ocean counties) in 1981. He is a member of the Republican Party. In his political career, Rep. Smith has expressed support for stricter gun laws, environmental protection laws and the pro-life movement. To find out more about his political record, visit this website.