Mrs. Kearns, Educational Services Professional of the Year

“It’s really nice to help people, and it’s always rewarding to help people, too.”

Anna Kaganova, Staff Writer

Ms Kearns (left), moments after being awarded by Principal Higley

Q: So, how does it feel to win?

A: I’m very honored! It’s really nice to be recognized in the school. I respect the other two people given the award a lot, so it’s an honor to be in one category with them.

Q: How long have you been working at the school? How did you start  as a guidance counselor?

A: I was a business major in college, at The College of New Jersey, but after having some internships I decided that I wanted to work with people, in in a different way than in the business field. I decided that I really wanted to work with students – particularly high school students – so I went to grad school at TCNJ for the school counseling degree. I had a really good experience. I graduated in 2005 and started working here, at FTHS, the same year  – so this is my thirteenth year. Some things have changed in the department and the technology we have, and how we work with students, but for the most part our basic role remains the same and it’s to help students with whatever it is that they need help with at the time. And that’s one thing that I really like about the job because it’s always different: the day can vary a lot, the students that you see from one day to the next can need something very different, so it’s never boring.

Mrs. Kearns being awarded by Councilwoman Barbara McMorrow

Q: Can you tell me some about memorable experiences that you have had while working as a guidance counselor?

A: I’ve seen a lot of students blossom in high school. Maybe they come in and are very shy, or have some academic difficulties, and they learn to use the support in the school to build on their strengths, and improve, and end up finding the confidence to do well in high school, socially or academically. That’s always been something I look forward to.

My role has changed from year to year: we always do different activities within the guidance department. I’ve been the scholarship coordinator and I’ve seen some students really benefit from that, the opportunities that we put out there to them. I help organize the testing for Brookdale and for the ASVAB, which is exciting – I get to see students take a step closer to their career and education goals, so I enjoy that as well.

It’s really nice to help people, and it’s always rewarding to help people, too.

Q: Did you know that you have your own day in Freehold Township now? How does that feel? 

A: That was very nice too! Really humbling, and more attention than I’m used to – or comfortable with – but that was really nice.

(editor’s note: December 13, 2017 was officially declared “Susan Kearns Day” by Mayor Preston)

Q: Do you have any final things you’d like to say?

A: It’s just nice to come to work and work with students, and parents, and staff, and to brainstorm ideas to help in different situation. I feel like people who work in the school want to make students too, so that makes my job easier because we’re all working together.