Kiersten’s LAST Thursday Jams! (6/17/21)

Kiersten Buckley, Co-Editor in Chief

Welcome to this week’s edition of Kiersten’s Thursday Jams! This will be a bittersweet edition for me though, since this is the last Kiersten’s Thursday Jams EVER!! I graduate a week from today, so unfortunately the column will end after this week. It was an amazing experience to be able to write about my favorite jams every week, and I hope you all found some songs that you liked! In honor of the last Kiersten’s Thursday Jams, I am going to highlight four of my favorite songs from four of my favorite artists. Thank you all for enjoying music with me these past few years!

The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala- Arctic Monkeys

[wpdevart_youtube caption=”” align=”left”]dAlRXC19hmE[/wpdevart_youtube]

Out of every single “Arctic Monkeys” song, this simple tune has been my favorite for years. The light rock beat of the track  starts off slow, but then delves into a more upbeat chorus. Lead singer Alex Turner’s signature amazing sultry vocals work incredibly well for the unique love song, and help pull together the catchy chorus of the track. Additionally, I absolutely adore the fun guitar riffs throughout the tune. You should listen to this song if you like light rock music or strong male vocalists.

Rom-Com Gone Wrong-Matt Maltese

[wpdevart_youtube caption=”” align=”left”]j97pddXvKps[/wpdevart_youtube]

I am not typically a fan of slow ballads, but Matt Maltese has changed my mind on the matter with this amazing song. The unique piano riff that starts off the track is reminiscent of an old movie, and creates a fun sense of nostalgia. Maltese’s soft vocals combined with the beautiful and incredibly well written lyrics of the track create an altogether lovely song. The dreamy chorus of the song always makes me want to simply close my eyes and appreciate the pure beauty of the tune! Although the song may be a sad and slow ballad, it is still an amazing tune. You should listen to this track if you like slow songs or music with well written lyrics. 

Presumably Dead Arm- Sidney Gish

[wpdevart_youtube caption=”” align=”left”]DuXsQd6hjBI[/wpdevart_youtube]

In this past year, Sidney Gish has quickly grown to become one of my favorite artists. In Presumably Dead Arm specifically, Gish changes my negative feeling towards slow ballads. The lyrics of the song itself are written like a beautiful poem, which is often rare to find in modern songs these days. I love hearing the raw passion in Gish’s voice as she sings her heart out in the lovely lyrics. The repetitive and fun nature of the tune is sure to be stuck in your head all day! You should listen to this track if you like music with well written lyrics or strong female vocalists.

My Girls- Animal Collective

[wpdevart_youtube caption=”” align=”left”]DRFlyfcbcFM[/wpdevart_youtube]

I first heard this song in an East Meets West store my freshman year of high school, when I immediately became enamoured with the interesting song. “Animal Collective” as a whole is surely a strange band with a definitively unique sound that is not for everyone. But, I absolutely love how different the tune sounds. The fun synthesized beat, distorted vocals, and unique instrumental riffs create an amazing psychedelic sound. It may appear nonsensical at times, but the tune is meticulously crafted and incredibly unique! This is a type of tune that makes you want to simply close your eyes, relax, and focus on the music. You should listen to this tune if you like psychedelic music, or experimental rock music. 

Thank you for reading this last edition, and thanks for jamming with me these past few years!