Kiersten’s Thursday Jams (5/27/21)

Kiersten Buckley, Co-Editor in Chief

jealousy, jealousy- Olivia Rodrigo

[wpdevart_youtube caption=”” align=”left”]Z-9gQjUZMm0[/wpdevart_youtube]

I’m going to be honest- I avoided Olivia Rodrigo’s debut album at first. I wasn’t a fan of the sappy “Driver’s License”-esque ballads, and figured that the album would be full of tunes just like it. But, after my friends convinced me to listen, I really enjoyed a few of Rodrigo’s more upbeat songs. “jealousy, jealousy” is a teenager’s perspective into the negatives of social media in the form of a peppy song. The pop tune has a fun beat and a catchy chorus, and it doesn’t sound anything like the ballads Rodrigo is typically known for. You should listen to this tune if you enjoy pop music or dance music. 

Permanent High School- The Voidz

[wpdevart_youtube caption=”” align=”left”]6J5VVSsHJ38[/wpdevart_youtube]

Although the title of this song sounds like my worst nightmare, The Voidz are able to mix rock and electronic music into this one amazing song. The Voidz is a side project of Julian Casablancas, the lead singer of The Strokes. His signature vocals are highlighted in this song, along with a fun guitar beat and the typical crazy drum beats that are seen in songs from The Strokes. The lyrics are also very well-written and detailed. You should listen to this song if you like indie rock music or music with insightful lyrics.

Mystery- Matt Maltese

[wpdevart_youtube caption=”” align=”left”]vArw6zuJ4Yc[/wpdevart_youtube]

Matt Maltese is known for his sentimental and lovesick ballads, and that is no different with his newest single “Mystery”. The track is very relaxing and sweet, and it reminds me of a song that would be played in the end credits of a movie. Maltese’s smooth vocals blend incredibly well with the soft and slow instrumentals, creating an altogether beautiful song. You should listen to this tune if you like relaxing music, or strong male vocalists.

Goodbye Baby- The Walters

[wpdevart_youtube caption=”” align=”left”]QXEjBOIA2f8[/wpdevart_youtube]

“Goodbye Baby” is a dreamy indie pop song from The Walters. The tune uses a fun synthesizer, mellow guitar, and casual drum beat. With the lead singer’s unique vocals, the song is incredibly fun and reminds me of summer! You should listen to this tune if you like love songs or pop songs.