Kiersten’s Thursday Jams: 3/14/19

Kiersten Buckley, Staff Writer

Thursday Jams (3/14/19)

Tomorrow, March 15th, Patriot Productions will perform the musical “Hello, Dolly” at 7:00. There will also be performances of “Hello, Dolly” on March 16th at 1:00 and 7:00, and on March 17th at 1:00. In honor of “Hello, Dolly”, which I am thrilled to be a part of, today’s “Thursday Jams” will be a Broadway edition! I hope you’ll enjoy these lovely showtunes, and I hope you’ll come see “Hello, Dolly”!

“Put on Your Sunday Clothes” – Hello Dolly

[wpdevart_youtube]RyTiDEf4Fxc[/wpdevart_youtube]

I mean, how could I not include a Hello, Dolly song on this broadway edition of Kiersten’s Thursday Jams? This lovely musical inspired this Broadway edition to be written, after all! The musical Hello, Dolly tells the story of a meddling matchmaker named, you guessed it, Dolly. This musical won the Tony Award for “Best Revival of a Musical” in 2017. And for all of you who are uneducated in the field of Broadway, a Tony award is like a Broadway Oscar. And yes, it is a big deal to win one. In this specific song, Dolly and her friends are planning to go to New York for the first time ever. Everyone in the song truly excited, and the instrumentals really show it. The orchestra plays a fun bubbly tune, and the cast sings fun lyrics of all of their dreams about New York. The exuberant tune is full of energy, and it leaves you feeling happy due to its upbeat nature. Do you like the sound of that? Well, come see Patriot Production’s performances of Hello, Dolly on March 15th at 7:00, March 16th at 1:00 and 7:00, and March 17th at 1:00!

“Waving Through a Window” – Dear Evan Hansen

[wpdevart_youtube]kfnMvo87fQU[/wpdevart_youtube]

Dear Evan Hansen is a groundbreaking Broadway musical that won the Tony Award for “Best Musical” in 2017. Which, again, is a pretty big deal for a musical! The show is about a socially anxious high school boy who yearns to make friends. One thing leads to another, and he accidentally fabricates a relationship with a dead classmate to become closer to the classmate’s family. This leads him to start living the life that he has always wanted, all while digging himself deeper and deeper into this catastrophic lie he started. In this powerful song, the main character (you guessed it, Evan Hansen!) talks about his personal struggles with his social anxiety. He sings about being “on the outside always looking in”. He wants to be on the inside with everyone else, but he is left on the outside merely “waving through a window”. You should listen to this song if you like powerful lyrics, or catchy songs. Fun fact; Evan Hansen is played by Ben Platt, who you may have seen as Benji in the hit film “Pitch Perfect”!

“Meet The Plastics” – Mean Girls

[wpdevart_youtube]sfgH4VEik5I[/wpdevart_youtube]

Mean Girls is a musical adaptation of the cult classic film “Mean Girls”. In case you’re not familiar with the story, I’ll catch you up. Mean Girls is about three, you’ve guessed it again, mean girls named “The Plastics” who rule the school. When new girl Cady joins The Plastics, chaos ensues. Sticking with Broadway’s self-explanatory style, in the song “Meet the Plastics”, we meet the Plastics. Each member has their own different background music and lyrics that correspond with their quirky personalities. The song is fun, and very upbeat and pop-music-esque. You should listen to this song if you like music with funny lyrics, or pop music.

“You and Me (But Mostly Me)” – The Book of Mormon

[wpdevart_youtube]njHiUggTjRo[/wpdevart_youtube]

The Book of Mormon is a Broadway Musical that took home nine Tony Awards in 2011, including “Best Musical”, “Best Book of a Musical” and “Best Original Score”. It also received fourteen Tony Award nominations, the most nominations of any Broadway production to this date. The musical is about two Mormons, played by the hilarious duo of Andrew Rannells and Josh Gad, sent to Uganda to spread their religion. The musical is praised for its outrageous humor. In this song, Andrew Rannells’ character, Kevin, sings to Josh Gad’s character, Arnold,  about how they are both going to succeed in Uganda. But mostly Kevin, of course. The song is well sung with hilarious lyrics that make the tune a classic. You should listen to this song is you like music with funny lyrics, or catchy songs.