Emma Cardillo

Emma Cardillo is a senior here at FTHS. She is our April student of the month in honor of all her hard work and dedication to the Gender Sexuality Alliance club. This club not only gives students the chance to come together in support of one another but it also creates a safe haven in our school grounds. Thanks to Emma, students are given more opportunities to strengthen their communication skills as well as their comfort around others. Congratulations to our April Student of the Month. To learn more about this club check out the interview below.  

Brianna Pacailler: What is the Gender Sexuality Alliance club? 

Emma Cardillo: The Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) is a club where students who are in the LGBTQ+ community come together to talk about some of the issues people, more specifically youth, in the LGBTQ+ community face. We also provide a safe space for students in the community to meet and talk with friends who may be in the same boat.

BP: What are some of your responsibilities regarding this club? 

EC: In years prior, the club has hosted fundraisers to raise money for our club, as well as local organizations meant to help LGBTQ+ youth. Some of my personal responsibilities include helping to plan meetings and topics to discuss. Of course, with COVID it has been difficult to plan fundraisers and meetings around everyone’s schedules, but we try to meet at least once a month to get together and catch up.

BP: What sparked your interest in this club? 

EC: It’s a funny story, actually. A friend of mine and I were sitting together in the morning of my sophomore year, and they suddenly stood up to leave. I asked where they were going and they shrugged, saying a GSA meeting. I was extremely jealous, so I followed them into the club. We sat together and they thought it was boring. I, however, was hooked. I met some of my closest friends and was able to feel extremely comfortable and accepted, which was a feeling I hadn’t felt in a long time.

BP: Do you have any challenges with juggling club responsibilities and regular school work?

EC: Not with this club. This club isn’t extremely demanding. You can show up on your own time, and the meetings aren’t extremely frequent. Recently we started reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower as a “club book,” and we are supposed to discuss it hopefully next week. This was optional, however, and there was no pressure to read the book if you weren’t interested. So, to reiterate, this club does not put any additional pressure on me.

BP: Can you share any advice you have for anyone interested in joining a club? 

EC: I know it’s a typical thing to say, but do it. See if you like it. I wish I had joined more clubs, even if I was just trying it out. Who knows? You might just find out what you like to do in a club. Without the GSA, I wouldn’t have met some of my closest friends. Without some of my other clubs, I wouldn’t be as accomplished or happy as I am.

BP: Would you like to say anything to anyone new joining GSA next year?

EC: Some people are afraid that there is a stigma around joining GSA. To be completely honest, no one cares. As I said before, join the clubs that you want to join. You will meet amazing new people and maybe learn a thing or two! I loved my time in GSA and wish I could have more time with them, but believe me when I say I will be keeping in contact with everybody I met. It is one of the most inclusive and accepting clubs in the school. Please join, we’d love to have you!