Student Profile: Makayla Pak

Shannon Walsh, Staff Writer

A few weeks ago I got the opportunity to interview Makayla Pak, a senior and starting defender on the field hockey team, about the experiences she’s had and her thoughts on the team. She has recently been named “one of the best defenders in the conference” by Tim Morris of the Transcript, and it is clear she lives up to that title. As a four-year varsity player, Makayla is an experienced athlete with drive and determination.

Do you think playing with upperclassmen for all four years has helped you grow as a player? If so, how?

Yes, it definitely helps out a lot! Especially in my freshman year, I would play with all these seniors who have already had four years of experience playing at a high school level. I was continually challenged as a player and it was always a fun time.

Do you feel like a mentor to some of the underclassmen you play with?

I would like to hope so. It’s not like the underclassmen need too much mentoring, though. I think it’s so great that we have so many talented underclassmen! We even have a couple freshman playing up with us which is awesome. I love watching them play and I try to offer advice whenever I can. I love being as helpful as I can and I’ll always be there for them!

Do you think the school’s program/team has positively affected you over the years?

It has definitely affected me positively over the years, It’s my favorite part of high school! Field hockey has always been a passion of mine and just sharing it with great people really makes it so much better. I think it’s such an awesome program too because I’ve made so many friends through it. Whenever I have a bad day or if I’m stressed out I know at the end of the day I can go to practice and forget all about it.

How does it feel to be named one of the best defenders in the conference?

It’s honestly such an amazing feeling, I couldn’t be more thankful! It’s such a compliment to be recognized for hard work and dedication. It’s always so exciting to see your name in the paper and to read something like that really is something special! It’s truly an honor to be named one of the best defenders in the conference and being recognized like that inspires me to be a better player.

What is your advice to anyone currently playing or looking to play field hockey in the future?

Do it! All of my favorite memories and best friends have come from field hockey and I believe I’d be a completely different person without it, it’s made my life better in so many ways. The sport is amazing and I’ve met so many amazing people through it, when you spend so much time together you are bound to become a family. We have such a great program at FTHS too because you don’t even need to have any experience before you come in! It could either be your first time picking up a stick or you could be playing for years. In my opinion, Field hockey makes you a better person and as long as you work hard and really love it, the rest comes easy.

What colleges you want to play for next year?

I have a couple options I’m looking at for college next year! Right now my top schools are Rider University and Fairleigh Dickinson University. I’m also going down for a college showcase in California in November so hopefully I’ll know for sure by then!

Do you play for any club teams?

I’ve been playing for South Jersey Edge for a couple years now and I love all those girls with my whole heart. They’re all my sisters there.

What are you looking forward to most as the season comes to a close?

I’m looking forward to how far we can go! It’s so sad that it’s my last year and I hate leaving my good friends like the Pietracatella’s (Jess and Marie), Kellie Hennessy, and Sara O’Malley, who I’ve been playing with since middle school! It’s also great to see who we’ll pull up for post season and all the talent we have. I know I’m leaving FTHS in great hands.