’13 Reasons Why’ a Rare, Accurate Portrayal of High School Life

Deryn Younger, Staff Writer

The series 13 Reasons Why recently debuted on Netflix, based off of the book of the same title written by Jay Asher. Since its release, so many fans of the book and even people who never read it have been talking about it nonstop. Why is it so popular, you may ask? The simple answer would be to say “Just watch it,” but it may be best to get an in-depth overview of what exactly makes this show so special and worthy of being seen by the eyes of teenagers everywhere.

Here’s a little summary for those who have not read the book – or just might not remember what happened for those who did read it: the book tells the story of a teenage girl named Hannah Baker. She committed suicide, but nobody really knows why; until a box of cassette tapes shows up at Clay Jensen’s – the main character and protagonist – door.

[wpdevart_youtube]Wqzjb07py9s[/wpdevart_youtube]

There are seven tapes with thirteen sides in total, each containing one reason that led up to the decision of Hannah killing herself. Recorded by Hannah herself in the weeks before she died, one person is named on each side of the tapes, and those tapes have been passed down chronologically as each person who is on the tapes receives and listens to them. The series tells the story of the events and actions of the people who, quite frankly, killed Hannah Baker.

Simply put, this show is amazing – it seems as if no matter what your life is like or what you’re going through, you’ll be able to relate in some way; which is mainly because all of the characters are so unique in their own way. Each coming from a different background and lifestyle, the characters of the series all have their own struggles that are shown as realistically and accurately as possible. (Just to name a few: depression, anxiety, suicide, bullying, harassment, LGBT+ issues, alcoholism, parental abuse, sexual abuse, financial issues… the list goes on).

While not only supplying realistic depictions of what teenagers across the country face daily, 13 Reasons Why also provides an outlet for teenagers to have a serious reality check. By watching the series, teens realize that how they act and everything they do and say has an effect on those around them. While the things they do may seem small or insignificant, to those around them, it can have a much greater impact. The things people say now stick with others forever, and could lead them to making life-changing decisions, such as what Hannah did.

To be honest, 13 Reasons Why is probably the most accurate depiction of what really happens in high school, and what happens in the minds of those around you. More often than not, actions speak louder than words, and those actions are what could ultimately have devastating effects.

If you’re now wanting to see what all the fuss is about, definitely give 13 Reasons Why the time it deserves. For a fair warning, nothing is sugarcoated – there are intense scenes, so watch with caution but also an open mind. Take everything in, try to connect to the characters, and attempt to realize that everything you do and say matters, no matter how big or small it may seem.