The Lazy Person’s Guide to Being Healthy

Riya Prasad, Staff Writer

2017 came around and we all made New Year’s resolutions, but how are those working out? I get it. It’s hard, to the point where it almost feels impossible, to go from sitting on a couch to going on runs or from eating cookies as a daily snack to making a whole meal out of vegetables. But “being healthy” doesn’t have to involve a gym membership or an empty pantry. If you’ve accepted your laziness, here’s a few ways to work with the daily routine you’ve created to live a healthier life.

image courtesy of https://gundersenenvision.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/why-you-should-take-the-stairs/

● Probably the most obvious, yet the most overlooked: water, water, water! Carry around a water bottle (preferably reusable) and make sure to drink as much as possible to flush out toxins and to lessen headaches or fatigue. (2 liters per day is the recommended amount.)

● Instead of binge watching your favorite show on your living room couch, try relocating to your treadmill or elliptical. Exercising won’t seem as dreadful and you won’t even feel guilty afterwards for wasting time watching Netflix. For an extra push, don’t stop exercising until the episode finishes.

● Ditch the elevators and escalators and take the stairs instead. Whenever you’re faced with the choice between the two, always choose stairs because whether you realize it or not, it’s a quick aerobic exercise. In fact, your early mortality rate can decrease by 33% by just climbing 8 flights of stairs a day!

● Have some of your favorite fruits ready to go instead of grabbing a pack of chips every morning. If you’re hungry, you’ll force yourself to eat whatever you have and the healthier option is always better.

● Don’t forget to get your sleep! High school makes it difficult to get a full 8 hours of sleep, but research has proven that sleeping more can improve your memory and reduce stress, while sleeping less than 5 hours leads to weight gain and irritability.

image courtesy of https://www.buzzfeed.com/annaborges/dont-wake-me-up-before-you-go-go

● Spend the few minutes before going to bed away from technology as this can keep your brain alert and make it harder for you to get a good night’s sleep afterward. Instead, read a book or try to meditate to wind down and relax because you deserve it after a long day of hard work.