Comfort Cases: Bringing Comfort to Township

Jaclyn Rommeney, Staff Writer

The Patriot Press had the opportunity to interview senior Dezaray Skalski, President, and junior Samantha Willoughby, Vice President, about Comfort Cases, a new club that they started at Township. Here’s how it went:

What is the club all about?

Dezaray: Comfort Cases is an organization that was originally started in Washington D.C. in order to help foster kids get the necessities they need, and something to call their own. These “Comfort Cases” are provided to the children and contain clothes, toiletries, a stuffed animal/toy, and anything else they may need. These things are then packaged up in a backpack and passed along to the children. In this club, I plan to accomplish the tasks done in DC, but on a bit of a smaller scale. I would like to provide these cases to foster children in New Jersey as I know they are always in need of necessities. Through this, I want to push to make a difference in these children’s lives and give them a sense of individuality and strength that will make their transitions, hopefully, much easier.

Samantha: This club is really all about passing on what the highly successful organization in DC initially began to foster kids in our area.  Dez and I want to make a difference in the lives of as many children in this difficult situation as possible.  Through these “Comfort Cases” we want to supply them with as many items we take for granted as possible.  These kids deserve so much more than what they are given and we want to take small steps to making up for that.

What are some goals that the club wishes to achieve during this school year?

Dezaray: I would like to reach as many kids as possible who are in foster care in our area. Also to raise awareness about the needs of foster kids and the foster care system in general

Samantha: I plan to double the number of kids we can supply cases to this year.  We want to reach most of Monmouth County this year, and further throughout New Jersey in future years.

How can someone join this club if they are interested?

Dezaray: We will actually be having a meeting on Wednesday 11/2/16 in C106 or they can join the edmodo page with the code n23628 or the remind 101 with the code fthsco.

Samantha: Anyone who would like to join throughout the school year can simply attend a meeting and we can make sure they are up to date on all we are doing at the time including fundraisers and upcoming packing parties.  Anyone willing to help is more than welcome to lend a hand.  The more volunteers we have the more kids we can help.

What are some items that students can donate to help out?

Dezeray: These are the things that go in a comfort case (We ask that they are unused and still in the package if possible. Books are encouraged to be donated by students since they are easy to get):  a backpack or small duffle bag/suitcase, pajamas (child size 2 to 8/9), small blanket, youth toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo & conditioner, lotion, soap or body wash, stuffed animal, coloring book & crayons, and books.

Samantha: Any other approved (by us) items that you feel is appropriate for the case may be donated as well.

Do you have any events coming up in the school year, and if not, do you plan to have any?

Dezaray: As of right now none are planned, however we do plan to have what is called a “Packing Party” sometime around Christmas where we pack up all the cases and send them out to the kids.

Samantha: We want to have as many “Packing Parties” this year as possible (within reason according to donations and fundraising).  But before that can happen, we need people to keep an eye out for our fundraisers so that we have things to create these cases.

Why should students join Comfort Cases?

Dezaray: It is really a great organization that helps thousands of foster kids every year and it is truly an amazing thing to donate your time to give back to kids who aren’t as fortunate as us. A lot of kids don’t have the basic necessities that they need and even just helping one kid at a time makes a huge difference to them.

Samantha: This club is more than a typical high school club.  It truly changes the lives of the children who receive our cases.  By joining this club, students are not only majorly impacting the lives of children who feel pushed aside or abandoned, but providing them with such comforts as to make their difficult situations a little more bearable.  These kids truly appreciate every ounce of work we do for them and we could not be happier to ignite this club in NJ.  Students in this club will make a tremendous difference in society as a whole and feel like they are actually changing the world for the better.

What inspired you to start this club?

Dezaray: I first heard about the organization from the founders themselves because my parents have been very close with the family for years. When I told them I wanted to help there was an overwhelming amount of support. Due to the fact this organization is originally set up in Washington D.C. I wanted to bring it to New Jersey and I thought what better way than to bring it to Freehold Township as a club and hope it grows.

Samantha: When Dez asked me to be a part of this club I immediately knew this was something I wanted to be involved with and could not wait to get started.  We have worked very hard to get this club moving as quickly as possible and cannot wait to watch it grow and hopefully spread throughout the state.