Freehold Township SADD Takes D.C.

From left: Steven Manzar, Sidney Baker, and George Fragoulias

George Fragoulias, Editor

The 2014 SADD National Conference that took place in Washington D.C the week of June 22, 2014 was  unforgettable for Freehold Township SADD students and it’s attendants.

Collaborating with nearly 500 other students and experts across the nation, teens networked with their peers to advocate teen driver safety, anti-bullying campaigns, and other ideas that promoted good decision making. The conference was composed of hundreds of workshops that covered a wide range of topics from mental health to driver safety.

Freehold Township’s attendants (George Fragoulias, Sidney Baker, and Steven Manzar) were very involved in the exchanging of ideas between schools by coordinating a workshop on the dangers of tobacco as well as methods on how to enhance cross-educational, peer-to-peer seminars relating to tobacco.

Additionally, every day of the conference there were performances by motivational speakers such as Natalie Ehmka and Gabe Hurley. These speakers encouraged students to not only make the right choices, but also to spread knowledge to other peers and lead them in the right direction.

“Between the leadership programs and motivational speakers, SADD National Conference has helped form me into the person I am today,” said Steven Manzar, Freehold Township SADD’s President and National Conference attendee.  the motivational speakers not only caused change within a whole community, but caused change within the people themselves.

Ending the conference with a “bang,” students met with their state senators to persuade them to pass a bill that enforced stricter teen driver safety laws.

Disregarding the educational components of the national summit, the conference brought together teens from all over the nation in one place at one time, strengthening the bond between SADD students and advisors. It fused peers into one large and friendly unit, allowing warm friendships and indispensable memories to be made.

As stated by Sidney Baker, “it is impossible to be upset or uncomfortable when you are around the kids of SADD National. You experience nothing but good vibes and loads of excitement.  Definitely the best four days of my life.”