SLIP Program Makes a Difference

Hailey Ruderman, Editor

Here at FTHS, the LFD (Lead for Diversity) students host the SLIP Program (Stop Saying Little Inappropriate Phrases) whenever there is a need to remind people that word choices are important.

The program started in 2001 when the advisor at the time, Mr. Patrick McEvoy, wanted to teach kids to not use offensive words such as “retard” and the “n-word.” When asked about the program, Mr. McEvoy, currently the school’s SECA, said, “I always tell my family to not use those words. I wanted to teach the students the same.”

In the halls of FTHS, if a student is caught saying an inappropriate word by a teacher, they go to a SLIP meeting instead of detention. In this case, the incident will not go on their school record and they are taught about why using those kinds of words is problematic.

“The SLIP program is beneficial to have here at FTHS because it educates students about the effect vulgarity has on individuals,” says senior LFD member Peter Nielsen. “The SLIP Program promotes a friendlier environment.”

Let’s say a student was caught singing/rapping along to one of Drake’s explicit songs. If a teacher catches this student repeating one of the explicit songs, he or she will be sent to a SLIP Program meeting. In the meeting, Mrs. Jordan, Miss Michaels and the LFD members teach the students what the word means, show videos about the word, and show how it could hurt someone’s feelings if that word is used.

Sophomore Richard Bollmeyer, who has been to one of these sessions said, “It was very motivating because it was fun and made me think differently.”

Over the years, Mr. McEvoy stated that he’s definitely seen and heard an improvement in the hallways. Also, not one person has been to a SLIP session more than once, which proves that the students are learning.

So far, FTHS is the only school in the Freehold Regional High School District with this program. Hopefully, the other schools will start this program, and kids will learn more about the right language to use in school.