A Senior’s Guide to Finding Scholarships

image courtesy of www.middlesex.mass.edu

Ariana Ramos, Editor

“I don’t know where to begin,” said every high school senior in America when asked how they will pay for college. At one point in my life, I probably said the same thing, but today, I know EXACTLY how I’m going to pay for college: with other people’s money.

At face value, that statement makes me seem criminal, maybe even evil; however, I have not robbed any banks recently, and I don’t plan on stealing anyone’s identity any time soon. Instead, I have applied to plenty of scholarships through various websites on the internet, through colleges that I have applied to, and through companies and organizations that I am familiar with. So far, I have won some and lost some, but that would not have been possible if I had not applied in the first place.

Oftentimes, students shut down the possibility of even receiving a scholarship because they believe they have a one-in-a-million chance of receiving it. I thought that too once, but take it from me: it can be done.

Scholarships are given out for all different reasons/causes, and no one knows what the formula is to receive one. To be honest, there isn’t always one, hence the reason all students should apply. There are scholarships based on personal characteristics (i.e. ethnicity, hair color, dominant hand), awesome accomplishments (i.e. test scores, awards, grades), involvement (community service, clubs, sports), random tasks (shooting a video, designing a greeting card, creating a piece of artwork), and sometimes nothing! Some scholarships just require a student’s name and contact information.

Want to know what’s even better than not having to lift a finger to be awarded a scholarship? Receiving one by default. Some scholarships are so unexplored that a student may be the only one who applied. This is why it is so important to know where to look for these scholarships. I would advise starting your search in the following locations:

• fastwebcom -This is a great website that links students to all kinds of scholarships based on a few pieces of personal information. These scholarships are awarded by companies and organizations who want to help students. They typically don’t require lengthy applications or essays as they are aware of the amount of work students have to put it simply to apply to a school. Also, Fastweb keeps the information very organized, emailing students with new scholarship matches and informing the applicant of the scholarship amount, the company or organization awarding the applicant, and the due date.
  • School District – Some high school districts award scholarships to students for special interests, intended majors, involvement inside and outside of the school environment, citizenship, and other reasons. Check with your guidance counselor for more information.  Here’s the link to all the FTHS scholarships.
  • Businesses/Organizations that you or a family member may be involved with – It would be a good idea to check in with your parents to see if they work for companies that award scholarships to children of employees. Or if you have been actively participating in a club or organization, check to see if they give scholarships. Even if they have applications that require essays, it may not be difficult to express how your parents’ job or how your involvement in a particular club has affected your life.
  • College/University Website – Most colleges offer their own scholarships to students who are applying or have applied to their school. These scholarships are most likely posted on the website with detailed information on what the scholarship is about and how to apply. These typically require more work, but keep in mind that it is because thousands of students may be applying to these scholarships. It would be difficult to select the cream of the crop if all that was required of a student was to write down his or her name.

Now that you have been given the tools to build your future, USE THEM. I wish you the best of luck! You CAN win any of these scholarships — you just have to believe…and apply!