Sophomore BotC Team Looking to Build Off Last Year’s Efforts

Sophomore BotC Team Looking to Build Off Last Years Efforts

Lindsey Golotko, Editor

Battle of the Classes is quickly approaching, and the increase of school spirit throughout Freehold Township can be felt in the hallways and classrooms. Battle of the Classes is when fourteen people from each grade are chosen to compete in a range of activities against the other grades.

The winner of the Battle of the Classes is granted to respect of the whole school and bragging rights against the other grades. One of the more eager teams is the sophomore class.

As freshman, the sophomores unfortunately placed third after a second place tie went to the sophomores and juniors. This year the fourteen players are out for blood. They are constantly improving their skills and tactics in order to be the best of the best.

Practice seems to make perfect in the case of Battle of the Classes. In fact, Julia Roessler states, “Practices with my team are my favorite part.” It is more than just running through the dance, the practices are where bonds are formed and the team truly becomes one.  A team is only successful if they work together.

This aforementioned trust is what puts a team over the edge in the athletic competitions.  A crowd favorite, the egg toss, relies on confidence in one’s teammates. Jake White says, “I love [the egg toss] because I feel like you can’t wing it and you really need to focus. Also, it’s really difficult, and you need technique.” So much pride and excitement comes from being a fierce competitor in the egg toss, which White and his teammates are.

A beneficial factor of this strong suited team is the fact that many of the players are returners. This does not mean, however, that any of the excitement has gone away from being selected.  Anthony Gandolfo eagerly says that the reason he wanted to be on the roster for Battle of the Classes is “being with my friends doing crazy stuff in front of the whole school.” Even though this is Gandolfo’s second year on the team, the thrill of being not only in front of his friends, but the entire school population, is still there. This eagerness truly transforms a team from average to a contender.

The sophomore team was nothing but hopeful before they were chosen. They each fought for their positions, using social media to promote themselves and their friends. The reward of being selected made it all worth it. Meghan Summonte states she was “happy when [she] was selected because [she] could look forward to the night of the event.” Knowing that you are chosen to represent your grade is a great feeling that should be treated with pride and respect.

All in all, the sophomore class is one of the teams to look out for.  They have been practicing, improving, and are looking for vengeance at Battle of the Classes. Battle of the Classes will take place on Tuesday, November 24th at 6:30 PM. This event is great for every grade. Battle of the Classes truly exemplifies school spirit and is an extremely unique experience.  The sophomore class can’t wait to see all of you there!