Editorial: The Defunding of Planned Parenthood or, The Fall Harvest

Ally Knighton, Staff Writer

If I could choose one group of people to be in charge of making decisions about my uterus and what it can and can’t do, conservative lawmakers would be at the top of that list. Truly, who else would be better?

Planned Parenthood has been under fire after a video leaked of apparent high up officials “bragging” about the compensation they’ve received after selling fetal tissue. Of course, this video was cut from twelve hours down to five ten-minute installments and was so heavily edited that it would never hold in a court of law. Nevertheless! That’s all details, water under the pro-life bridge. Plus, the bragging was actually gushing about the advancements in medical research that could help people with vaginas all over, but again, just details!

Additionally, our white feminist savior Carly Fiorina called out Hillary Clinton and challenged her to “watch a fully formed fetus on the table, its heart beating, its legs kicking, while somebody says, ‘We have to keep it alive to harvest its brain!’”

No, I’m not kidding, she actually said that during a nationally televised debate. And yes, that came from her brain, not a quote from an M. Night Shyamalan movie.

The real bottom line is this: what Planned Parenthood does is not illegal.

Planned Parenthood is allowed to sell fetal tissue to use in research.

Yet, the GOP is pushing a plan to defund Planned Parenthood.

planned-parenthood-logo1“No, I don’t believe the GOP’s plan to defeat PP and shut down government will work. It passed in the House because of the strong conservative presence there due to more localized, partisan elections,” junior Kevin Marien, Forensics Team Secretary and NHD President, states when considering the possibilities. “In order to be elected to the Senate, you need to amass the support of a more mainstream coalition of voters which is why there are more establishmentarian Republicans in the Senate than in the House.”

He debunks the recent apparent success of the plan.

“I unfortunately think that the plan has a good chance of passing because of the large majority of Republicans in Congress,” senior Shana Kleiner, Forensics Team President and Human Relations Commission Board Member, explains. “However, I think this decision will be detrimental to Americans.”

And, as scary as it may be, we have to think about the effects on Americans if it does pass.

“Planned Parenthood, to me, seems to be more targeted for younger people and some of them don’t really have a voice in this from what I’ve heard,” sophomore CGI student Elisa Zikoff says of the issues America would face if Planned Parenthood loses federal funding. She draws on personal experience to find the words. “When they gave presentations in school, they didn’t really focus on abortions but more about STD’s.” Zikoff’s observation, as a whole for the organization, is correct.

Only three percent of the services Planned Parenthood provides are abortions; the other ninety-seven percent are used for methods of contraception, treatment and testing for sexually transmitted diseases, women’s health services, and cancer screening and prevention. As Zikoff says, “Planned Parenthood isn’t just for abortions.”

Exploring more negative effects, Richard Cho, junior and band member, weighs in. “Sex Education will be lost. Look at the South. They only teach abstinence and their teen pregnancy rate is higher [than] in places where Planned Parenthood comes in to teach sex ed.”

Planned Parenthood may have gained a bad reputation among the masses recently, but its positives outweigh any negative connotation it may have attached to it. The GOP has initiative to stop all funding, but Cho sums up the irony in a few sentences.

“People who can’t afford children can’t get emergency abortions if the plan passes, so how will they raise a child and support themselves at the same time?” Cho implores further. “Republicans defend fetuses but where are they when the fetus turns into a child in need of help?”

Good question, bud. We’re still looking for them.