Briggs Receives Coach of the Year Honor

Briggs Receives Coach of the Year Honor

Emily Bracher, Editor

Anyone who knows Coach Todd Briggs realizes it takes much more than an athlete’s natural talent to win a soccer game or cross the finish line first at a track meet. It takes a certain kind of time-consuming passion and dedication that the coach must pertain.

Coach Briggs is a clear example of those special qualities. Transitioning from the soccer season in the fall all the way to back-to-back track seasons in the winter and spring, Briggs is not just an ordinary history teacher at Freehold Township High School.

Coach Briggs doesn’t care for publicity or recognition, like most coaches in the state often do, but he puts the student-athletes first. When asked how he felt after receiving Coach of the Year for the 2013-2014 Indoor Track season, he said, “I am not really into coaches getting recognition for doing their job. I believe that I received this honor because of the talent and spirit of the athletes I coach. Therefore any recognition I get is an indicator of how talented the athletes are so indirectly the athletes share the recognition.”

His remarkable coaching skills has lead to multiple Track and Field State titles, two MOC Championships, State Sectional and Group titles, Monmouth County and Shore Conference titles, as well as a National Championship. The list only continues as many of his athletes have All- American honors to their name.

On the other hand, when he isn’t screaming “MOOVVEE” on the track, he is equally as passionate on the soccer field. He recently coached his team to becoming Shore Conference Champions, an achievement that has not been accomplished at FTHS since 2008.

He is known around not only the soccer community but also the running world as a coach to watch because of his unpredictable qualities and smart strategy.

With the new track that has just been put in, thanks to the district and school administration, Coach Briggs has high expectations for the 2014-2015 track season. “My expectations are for the boys program to get back to the top, as they are equally as talented with the girls on paper. Also for all the athletes to be the best version of themselves that they can be day in and day out.”