Advice for Freshmen to Help Start High School Right

One+of+the+FTHS+Peer+Leaders+helps+out+a+freshmen+during+Freshmen+Orientation+

One of the FTHS Peer Leaders helps out a freshmen during Freshmen Orientation

Autumn Cataldo, Editor

The start of a school year is always an exciting and nerve-racking time for students. But I think it’s safe to say that freshmen year is by far the most stressful one that makes all the incoming students worry a ton. A mass of students from all towns like freehold, Howell, Manalapan and more come together to make up the freshmen class at Freehold Township High school. FTHS holds a day dedicated to this new class of students one day before the official first day of school. This is known as freshmen orientation, or if you’re asking the freshmen they’ll refer to it as possibly the most intimidating day of high school. A new place with new students led by new teachers.

On this freshmen day, students head straight to the auditorium for an assembly to get a preview into the year. They also get to meet some names with faces of principals, supervisors and guidance counselors. After that, they get to attend homeroom to meet with some of FTHS’ finest seniors, the peer leaders. The peer leaders help the students go through their schedules, figure out next classes and give them some insight on the year they are stepping into. After that, they stay in each class for a few minutes to meet the teachers and discover the route they take to get to the classes. The route isn’t the smoothest trip they’ll be taking because most of them end up lost in the halls but that’s where the peer leaders come in handy. They guide the students from class to class explaining how to find their way through the halls. After their classes and a group meeting with their guidance counselor, they head back onto the buses and they’re on their way home by 11. Now they have the whole day to prep themselves for their very first official full day of high school.

No student can ever be too prepared for their freshmen year and there’s always room for some more tips of advice…

• Join clubs and activities. It is a great way to make a group of friends. Also, try out new things. You never what you might end up enjoying the most. High school is a time to find your passion and joining groups and clubs you’re interested in will help you do that.

• Stay organized. Use a planner because it will help you not feel overwhelmed with remembering all of your classes and homework. Being able to manage your time will help you stay on top of your work while having free time for a social life. It’s also a great way to make sure you complete all of your assignments without losing points for minor things that were simply forgotten.

• Go to school events like homecoming and sports’ games. Being school spirited will make your high school experience even more memorable!

• Don’t be afraid to say you need help or are struggling. Whether you need talk to guidance, talk to a teacher, come into your teacher before homeroom, look to sign up for tutoring after-school; it’s always encouraged to speak up when needed.

• Everyone else is just as scared and as self-conscious as you are. You should look to do what you want rather than what you think other people like. Whether it’s wearing something, trying out for a sport, taking a class you’re interested in, don’t hold back because you’re scared of what others might think.

• No one knows what’s going on for lunch on the first day. It seems scary if you don’t know anyone but even upperclassmen are scrambled and nervous for lunch on the first day. You WILL be able to find one person you know, and if not, there will be an open seat that you can just ask to sit at. Also, keep in mind that some people in your class before lunch will most likely have next lunch too so walk with a classmate.

• •People are a lot nicer than you may think. FTHS isn’t a high school out of a movie or TV show. Upperclassmen truly want to help you and you shouldn’t feel scared if you’re lost or confused. Especially peer leaders who will be wearing these shirts on the first two days of school.

• Do not slack your freshmen year. Working hard your freshmen year benefits you greatly. It looks good on your transcript and preps you to work hard your following years. A main regret upperclassmen have is slacking and not trying their first year or two of high school.

• It’s important to have a teacher-student relationship. You want your teacher to know you, and like you, because they’ll be even more willing to help you when needed. Also, later down the road, it only benefits you for college recommendations and National Honors Society applications.

• The more interactive you are in class as well as with your peers, the more enjoyable school becomes. High school is really what you make so be friendly to everyone and be willing to participate in and out of the classroom.

• Even if you’re on the shy side, try to start off more outgoing. It will be hard at first but starting off high school a little bit out of your comfort zone will help you make more friends.

• Remember that this is a fresh start!!! The teachers don’t know you, you are in school with new students and it’s a new school. You can be the person you want to be rather than maybe the student and person you were in middle school. Appreciate having a fresh slate because you don’t have that many opportunities at one.