Apples vs. Chips: The Eternal Struggle

Apples vs. Chips: The Eternal Struggle

Shana Kleiner, Staff Writer

dThe constant battle of apple versus chips enters the lives of every student at some point, and as they get older, the question still remains. Is it worth it to sacrifice taste for weight control and good health, or more beneficial to not restrict one’s taste buds?

Many people argue a combination of the two: an apple, for example, is highly renowned for being delicious and nutritious, but in all honestly, sometimes a bag of chips can cure almost anything. In school, however, it seems as though the goal is to pick food that will fill you up during lunch. According to Jill Heun, Freehold Township junior, “I would choose an apple over chips because it’s healthy and filling.” Most importantly, though, apples are the perfect fruit for a student. They’re the most convenient shape, fitting  into almost any brownbag or lunchbox.

Evidently, apples have superiority over chips. Nicole Pumar, FTHS Junior, stated “green apples are my life.”

The driving force to choose an organic fruit over corn-starch filled chips may possibly be the school-lunch reform. Now, lunches are required to come with some type of fruit or vegetable. Upon buying a meal in the cafeteria, an apple is thrown on your tray, whether you like it or not, and usually students do.

Healthy food goes way beyond apples. There’s kale, eggplants, brussel sprouts, broccoli, and other vegetables and fruits that many kids disgust. But, these organic foods do end up helping us a lot more later in life. The decisions we make now, even small ones like choosing an apple over a bag of chips, genuinely influence our quality of living in the future.

For instance, according to choosemyplate.gov, “Eating a diet rich in vegetables and fruits may reduce risk for heart disease, strokes, and protect against certain cancers.” So, the health craze proves to be paying off. After all, going a week without any junk food is preferable to having a heart attack.

Needless to say, fruits taste pretty good and are certainly beneficial, but as kids, we can still indulge on some junk. There is no healthier decision than doing what is best for you. The key is to keep a healthy balance: eat some candy, but mainly have generally healthy food. Knowing what is best for your body type, and making smart, health-conscious decisions, will ultimately lead you on the path of well-being.

An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but a bag of chips every once in a while can’t bring the doctor any closer. It’s no crime to indulge, and indulge shamelessly. It’s time that we recognize fruits and vegetables as healthy, but not the single factor of whether we are healthy or not.

Health is all about doing what is best for you, in every situation. So, whether it’s an apple or a bag of chips you bring to school every day, make sure it’s delicious, nutritious, but most of all: satisfying.